• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual to auto

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
99 4.0 4x4. Want to swap out my manual for an auto but want to know if its as simple as getting one from a 4x4 and swapping it in place? Wondering if drive shafts will need modded and if I need to get computer from auto truck? Been boggin with the manual but I'm to the point where I need to hit another gear which doesn't work out or put in something that will do it for me. If there is a thread that has already gone over this please direct me to it. Thanks in advance.

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, let me be more specific. I've been looking at using a c5, if I can even find one, to use behind my 99 4.0 ohv motor. I would like to go this route because it is not an electronically controlled trans. I've seen different data saying yes it will bolt to 4.0s, but I have also seen that it is only 4.0s before 97. Is it possible to bolt this up to my 99 4.0 or no? Other question is if it is not an option is the 4r55e worth the time to replace my m5od with? And say I do swap from the m5od to the 4r55e do I just get the tranny, cooler, starter and computer from the donor and put it all in wam bam thank you mam or am I missing something? Thanks. Would like to get the ball rolling on this cause first bog is may 11th then I will have one month until the next and would like to have it done and tested before then.

samx227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
not to sure about swap years and what not but from my experience you will also need an auto backing plate, flex plate, flex plate bolts (different from manual flywheel bolts), torque converter (obviously), and torque converter nuts. just my 2 cents haha

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Sam for the info. On other news I think I found a c5 at the junk yard today. Would an 89 bronco 2 with the fuel injected v6 have a c5? It had the hump in the pan. It was column shift but it sure looked like a c5. Let me know guys if this is possible cause I could prolly get it for a really good price. The b2 actually had the keys in it and it fired right up!

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
99 4.0 4x4. Want to swap out my manual for an auto but want to know if its as simple as getting one from a 4x4 and swapping it in place? Wondering if drive shafts will need modded and if I need to get computer from auto truck? Been boggin with the manual but I'm to the point where I need to hit another gear which doesn't work out or put in something that will do it for me. If there is a thread that has already gone over this please direct me to it. Thanks in advance.
Generally speaking, the manuals in these trucks are the better tranny... Most people try to get rid of their autos lol

Second, the tranny is computer-controlled, so I would think you need the computer from the donor truck.

If Im not mistaken, the c5 is only a 3-speed tranny, which would hurt your fuel economy, and No you wont find it in a bronco II, the a4ld also has a hump in the pan in those.

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well fuel economy is not a concern. The truck only gets driven for 200 ft. At a time. That sucks I was really pumped about seeing the hump in the tranny thinking it may have been a c5. Looks like I want to get a c5 and maybe eventually make a c5 c4 tranny. I agree with you tho on the manuals being the better tranny. If you look in my sig even my tow rig is a manual. It took a lot of persuasion from peers and a video of me hitting the rev limiter multiple times to convince me to go to an auto.
Anybody able to give me hard core facts that a c5 will work behind my 99 4.0 ohv before I continue on with my hunt for it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals