• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

manual swap neutral safety

Chris_97

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I recently did a manual swap on my 97 ranger and now it won't start with the key. I can start it by touching the starter wires but not when I turn the key. is there any way to bypass the neutral safety?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hi Chris...welcome to TRS~!

I think we need more information...such as: Did you swap over the computer and wiring harnesses for the manual? This would include the harness under the dash as there is a clutch interlock switch that needs to be bypassed...

You might be able to jump the neutral safety on the old harness but not sure what that might entail as far as other operating issues...and not sure if the PATS has anything like fuel pump shut off and other anti-theft features that might also affect starting and driving...someone with more experience with that could probably elaborate on it for you or you could search on PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) for Ford vehicles...

I don't have that on my 96 or I would have already reviewed it for you and could tell you more...I'm dealing with the clutch interlock on mine and I can tell you how to jumper that...but I don't even know if you have the switch...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You gotta get the park/neutral wires at the trans range sensor connector and splice them together to close the circuit.

Chris_97

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies. Yes I changed the engine computer but did not take thE harness under the dash. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a pats system. The engine computer is out of a 95 manual

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
OK, well, I think that is part of your problem. The computer needs to be told the circuit is complete...if it doesn't get that signal the ignition is simply shut down or not activated...

You can try what Adsm08 suggested if you still have that harness hooked up...I'd imagine the 95 computer would be looking for the clutch interlock to be completed and that may require an in-dash harness adjustment or replacement if the wiring is too complicated...or you may need to get a 97 computer...

The clutch interlock is a safety feature and I'm pretty sure it can't be easily deleted or otherwise bypassed...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Mark, we really need to teach you EFI. You are over-thinking this so much.

The computer is in no way involved in this. It is a simple open/closed circuit. It isn't even a different circuit for auto vs manual.

The circuit runs from the ignition switch, through the clutch pedal, through the trans range sensor, to the starter relay. If the truck has an auto there is a jumper plug in the connector for the clutch switch, just closes the circuit. Then if it has a manual the wires for that circuit just go around in a loop and run right to the starter relay.

No computer needed.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
OK, LOL...I'm actually trying to logic my way through it and probably looking at this like it is complicated...trying to solve my own issue and this one seemed very close...

What I read about the clutch interlock on the 96 says it interacts with the computer to control fuel delivery between shifts...so I assumed that this also was a function of the computer to keep the starter circuit open (not start)...however, I didn't read beyond that because I found the information I was looking for at the time...what wires to jump to get around the clutch interlock (pink and red)...

According to AutoZone website...

It requires the clutch pedal to be depressed to the floor in order to start the engine.
If cuts off the speed control system when the clutch pedal is depressed.
It provides a fuel control signal to the EEC system.

So...the automatic and computer are not related to starting issues...it's the neutral safety which will simply a cut off the starter system by not closing the circuit...

That makes sense...still more complicated than the 88 CI...

Thanks for the simplification...:)

Last edited:

Chris_97

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up just installing a push button starter and it works great. thanks for the replies though

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Cool Chris! Thanks for the update...and sorry about the misdirect...I meant to read more on that part of things but still learning and a bit overwhelmed due to gremlins in my wiring...this is why I loved my carb setup...:)

kbeers93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
This is what u need to do where the transmission harness there are two wire that need to be connected to bypass the neutral safety. Mine were red and blue to just red. The truck doesnt need a computer to crank so its nothing you did there.

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals