• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual swap complete - but 2 questions

rich

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So the manual 1354 is in and working. Mostly...

1st question
I've read here or at ExplorerForum about how to wire the 4WD and 4LOW lights on the dash using the 2 wires from the manual case. But I'd really like to know how to tell the 4R55E when the T-case is in low range. As it is, in low range the transmission won't shift past 2nd gear because the speed is low and it doesn't know that 4low is engaged. Any ideas?

2nd question

EDIT TO REVISE - a bit of operator error on my part. When testing the manual case last night, I was driving on pavement, so had my manual hubs unlocked. Shifting from 2 high to 4 high while driving would be expected to not work right, since the front driveshaft wasn't turning. So question 2 is just this: When shifting between 4low and 4high (manual T-case, auto transmission), what's recommended? Seems like the tranny output shaft will begin turning as the T-case goes through neutral and some grinding would be unavoidable. I've always had manual trans with manual t-cases before this.

Ignore the previous question below...
Does a 1354 have synchronizers that could wear out? When shifting between high and low range (full stop, tranny in neutral), I'm getting a fair amount of grinding if I try to ease the T-case into gear. It will go if I just bang it in, but seems a bit abusive. Also noticed that 'shift on the fly' between 2hi and 4hi doesn't seem to lock in immediately as it should. If I stop, it locks in right away.

I did come across another manual 1354 at the junkyard this weekend - I'm wondering if I'm going to need it.

Last edited:

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
There are no syncronizers in the tcase. Try shifting in park instead. AFAIK, The tranny doesnt need to know what range the tcase is in. (99% sure on that).

rich

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, sounds like park is the best option for shifting to low range.

I don't know about any other tranny, but the 4R55E uses different shift patterns for low range and high. When the electric shift was working and the t-case was in low range, the tranny would shift into all gears, including overdrive. When the electric shift wasn't working, I pulled the motor off and shifted to low by hand. The tranny thought it was still in high range and wouldn't shift past second gear. With the manual shift T-case, it's the same thing - no tranny shifts past second until I figure out how to let the tranny (PCM) know that low range is engaged.

Or possibly or it's just mine and I have some other tranny problem that only shows up in low range?!? :dntknw: :icon_confused:

Last edited:

rich

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Still haven't found the answer, but have confirmed that I'm not nuts regarding the tranny shift in 4x4 low.

I have "1996 Aerostar, Ranger, Explorer Supplement" for the Ford Service Manual. It contains 288 pages on the 4R44E/4R55E. Among these pages, it describes each sensor that contributes to the transmission operation. For the "4x4 Low (4x4L) Switch" it says-

Transmission Function:
Modifies shift schedule for 4x4L transfer case gear ratio.

Symptoms:
Failed On - Early shift schedule in 4x2 and 4x4H.
Failed Off - Shifts delayed in 4x4L. If the 4x4 low indicator light fuse is blown, the transmission will shift according to 4x4 low shift schedule regardless of transfer case position.

Unfortunately, in trying to learn more about wiring this switch, this manual refers me elsewhere - the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis manual. Don't have that one.

My 4Low switch is obviously 'failed off' since the switch isn't connected to anything right now. In 4L, if I just put the tranny in D and go, it will rev up past 3000 rpm in 1st gear without shifting. I can select either first or second and use those two gears, but it won't shift out of first when the selector is in D.

I think all I need to do is figure out where to connect the low range wire. Am I really the first person on TRS to have this problem, or is the answer so obvious that I'm overlooking it?

Maybe I need to find that "4x4 low indicator light fuse" and wire in a switch to simulate a blown fuse. :dntknw:

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Wait, are you shifting from 2 to 4hi with the manual hubs unlocked? If the front hubs are unlocked you MUST stop before shifting into 4WD, only the Auto T-cases can be shifted while on the fly.

The only time you can shift on the fly with a manual t-case is if the hubs are locked, otherwise you need to completely stop.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you can shift while moveing in to 4H [with hubs locked in] but you can not shift from 4H to 4LO while moveing. stop to shift in to 4LO. dont even try it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals