• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Ranger - diagnosing a possible dragging clutch

BrosnanRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone
My 2008 4.0 Manual transmission is having problem going into first and sometimes third

When shifting into first from a stop I hear a thud - and this is the driveshaft moving slightly ( I watched my buddy put it in gear while I was underneath)

sometimes this is of off and on and this problem is noticeably better when forst
driving the truck for the day

Clutch is stiff at the top and feels normal to me. Mercon V was freshly added by me no real difference is felt
the slave is not leaking, the fluid was low, topped off a week ago and has not lost a drop since so I don’t think there’s leaks in the system. Any ideas on what the issue might be? I just bought the thing I’m hoping just a master bleed and not anything bad

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
pilot bearing????
does it shift into 1st at low speeds, 3-8, with no problem?

when stopped with foot on clutch does it grab at random?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
How many miles on it? If it has high miles, it might be time for a new clutch, the reason it was sold.

BrosnanRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes When rolling slowly it does shift a little better
And no when stopped it grabs the same height as every gear- the last half if say

BrosnanRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
How many miles on it? If it has high miles, it might be time for a new clutch, the reason it was sold.
She’s got 210,000 km on her. So around 120,000 miles. The clutch doesn’t slip at all. Even though it doesn’t slip could this be a sign of a bad clutch?
Is it normal for the driveshaft to twist slightly when going into gear from stop?
Thanks everyone

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
a worn pilot bearing will only show itself when your foot is on the clutch pedal.

a pilot bearing is not a clutch release bearing/throwout bearing.

the pilot bearing is attached to the end of the crankshaft and rotates with the crankshaft.
the transmission input shaft goes into the pilot bearing and should spin freely there.

when the pilot bearing fails it can grab the input shaft and turn it even when the clutch is disengaged, your foot is on the pedal.
that makes it difficult to get into first at a stop, and explains why it works at slow speeds as both parts are spinning at similar speeds.

when mine failed it made some popping noises and caused some jerking while stopped with foot on the clutch.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
there is an access plug you can remove the see how much free play the disk gets when the clutch is depressed.
you stated the clutch is stiff at the top. if there is air in the system it's usually soft at the top.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I need to check mine too. Its got 205k miles and its getting harder to put into first when stopped. Somwtimes i have to put it into second and then back to first to make it go in easily

BrosnanRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
there is an access plug you can remove the see how much free play the disk gets when the clutch is depressed.
you stated the clutch is stiff at the top. if there is air in the system it's usually soft at the top.
So I should check to see that I’m getting minimal play in the clutch disc? And if it’s sloppy that this would indicate a worn pilot bearing?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you coast to a stop with the clutch down and the transmission still in gear and you can freely shift into any gear with the engine running without any grinding, the clutch isn't dragging. My '97 does similar at a stop going into first gear, doesn't always want to go into gear but if I do get it into gear and put the clutch in with the gears lined up it will freely shift into any gear as fast as I can shift... The synchro's need some shaft speed to line the gears up, I'm pretty sure it's just the gears butting tip to tip and not lining up. Normally I'll just push the shifter toward first then second then back to first and it will go into gear...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals