• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Locking Hubs

Scobi64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1999 Ranger 4x4. It had the stock automatic locking hubs. Vacuum operated. I have had problems with them. So I bought myself a set of Rugged Ridge manuals. They got good reviews and everything... I can't get them to stay in my truck! I've been through two sets now. At $200 a set I can't keep doing this. Any ideas on why they keep popping out while I'm driving? The truck has new CV axles and I tried replacing the plastic axle clips thinking maybe the axles were sliding in and out with too much play. Now RR is sending me a set for free due to my issue. Any ideas?

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
are they actually locking? my buddy bought a set last year and tried to put them on this year.... yeah a year later.. well long story short, the splines on the inside are not machined corect. i believe its the splines for the shaft . so the hub would not slide on but instead push the ring on the hub creating tension thus popping off the bearing..

Scobi64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no that shouldnt be it... ive counted the splines. even before purchasing. unless im not understanding what you actually mean.

timbits588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/4.0
Transmission
Manual
That's really strange. I installed the RR ones on my '98 when I had it (probably 4 years ago now) and they worked perfect. Did you put on that little gasket and everything? If i remember correctly it took me a little bit to get it situated and snug.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How are the needle bearings that the axle spins in, inside the wheel bearing/hub assembly? I don't have any experience with the RR maunuals but I've seen the factory hubs pop out because the needle bearings were hammered and let the axle flop around too much.

Scobi64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The wheel bearings are also brand new. So that's not it, and yes I installed the rubber gasket as well. I haven't had any problems with the passenger side since I installed the second one. Maybe I'll just have to make sure that it seats better. I'm at the point where I'm ready to JB Weld or duct tape that freakin thing on there. I'll break it off if I have to some other time lol. I live in NH so I can't have an unreliable 4WD system in the storms. I have to drive...

Sampson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have them on my 99 and haven't had any problems with them. You could get a hose clamp that about the diameter of the hub and put it on the part where the RR hub mounts onto the wheel bearing with all the little fingers and tighten it down.

Scobi64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thought about the hose clamp idea. but using a CV axle boot clamp instead, so it doesn't have the bulge. i just received my new hubs yesterday. i installed it, drove around in 2wd for a couple hours, no problems. hit a trail, locked into 4wd, and within 3 mins it popped out. i spent an hour walking the trail with a flashlight, couldn't find it. so i installed the second new one again, on the drivers side... but i duct taped them where the plastic tabs clip over the hub. and then left them locked, and put closed center caps over them. if they pop out they aren't going anywhere... **** it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals