• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual locking hubs 87 B2

groovtubin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Has anyone here installed them? What do you do w/overhead 4wd console, after the fact, just leave alone, or disable computer?

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
With auto locking hubs, the hub engages when the axle twists. The axle twists when the transfer case is shifted into 4L or 4H. With manual hubs you have to step out of your rig and turn the knob on the wheel hub. The overhead consol only controls shifting of the transfer case. So you will need it to stay functional. All my rigs have manual hubs. I either bought them that way or switched them from auto locking.
Just my preference. I find them more reliable.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, auto or manual hubs have nothing to do with the auto or manual transfer case. If I remember right, the only vehicles I’ve had with auto hubs were my 88 B2 and my F-150. 88 was auto everything with the overhead push button console and I put manual hubs on, everything else I left alone. I may or may not convert to manual transfer case at some point. My F-150 was manual everything but the hubs. One of which didn’t work so no 4x4. They are both manual now. My 92 is auto everything but the hubs, came from Ford like that. I had an 89 B2 at college that was an Eddie Bauer… with manual transfer case and manual hubs.

groovtubin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
With auto locking hubs, the hub engages when the axle twists. The axle twists when the transfer case is shifted into 4L or 4H. With manual hubs you have to step out of your rig and turn the knob on the wheel hub. The overhead consol only controls shifting of the transfer case. So you will need it to stay functional. All my rigs have manual hubs. I either bought them that way or switched them from auto locking.
Just my preference. I find them more reliable.
Thank you! Appreciate the reply! Is there a manual hub you can recommend?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Factory hubs were made by Warn. Factory hubs are what’s on most of my trucks. If your front axle is stock, it will be a Dana-28 (12 bolts hold the pumpkin to the axle beam when viewed from the front). Your options for that are pretty much Factory or Warn. I may have a set around here somewhere, if I think about it when it stops raining I’ll try looking around. The hub itself gets changed along with the spindle nuts for the bearings. You could also source a set from a junkyard. Bronco II and Ranger are fair game as long as the axle is the same as yours.

If you have a D-35 front (think 1990 was the first year for those) it will be a 10 bolt holding the pumpkin to the axle beam when viewed from the front, you can use Factory, Warn, or Warn hubs for a Jeep D-35 which are a little stronger than the normal hubs. The axle shafts are thicker than the D-28, so you have to get the correct hubs for your axle. Hybrid front axles (3.0l trucks) have D-35 everything except the smooth pumpkin has D-28 inners and the shafts are necked down where they go in the pumpkin. So the hubs on those are D-35. Most 1990 Bronco II, 4.0l Rangers and all Explorers until they went IFS used the D-35. Somewhere mid 90s they went to D-35 for all Rangers, not exactly sure when though.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mile Marker hubs are about $100 cheaper then WARN, if you can find them. The new WARN hubs I bought a little while ago look beefier then the factory ones. The knobs are certainly better.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Mile Marker hubs are about $100 cheaper then WARN, if you can find them. The new WARN hubs I bought a little while ago look beefier then the factory ones. The knobs are certainly better.
That's what I have on my Bronco 2, but my Bronco 2 had manual hubs to begin with...sounds like the OP has auto-locking hubs so it requires some other parts to convert from auto-locking to manual...but definitely worth the conversion....but then again that push button electronic shift transfer case crap ain't all that great either especially when everything gets old.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone here installed them? What do you do w/overhead 4wd console, after the fact, just leave alone, or disable computer?
I don't think that if you have the stock d28 on your rig it will have auto hubs? I would go on the tech page and identify what your axle is. I am not aware of auto hubs before 1990. I have had several 86 thru 88 4 x 4's and have not had an auto hub? I would not spend any money until you are sure of what axle you have. If you in fact have a d28, I would not spend much money on it. I have only done stock rebuilds on mine as that you can't get ring gears or much else.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I don't think that if you have the stock d28 on your rig it will have auto hubs? I would go on the tech page and identify what your axle is. I am not aware of auto hubs before 1990. I have had several 86 thru 88 4 x 4's and have not had an auto hub? I would not spend any money until you are sure of what axle you have. If you in fact have a d28, I would not spend much money on it. I have only done stock rebuilds on mine as that you can't get ring gears or much else.
Auto hubs did exist on older D-28 trucks, I had them on the D-28 in my 88 Eddie Bauer B2, and they were on an 87 B2 that I stripped for parts. I believe they are collecting dust somewhere in my shed and I believe they had worked when I took them off. All of my trucks have manual hubs or live axle though. I don’t trust auto hubs.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Please don't everyone throw away your D28 auto hubs. I'll probably need some more one day. Only use 4wd around the farm, always slow speed, can't use it on dry pavement. Like being able to just push a button & get more traction, no getting out to lock hubs, no stepping in cow poop, no getting rained on. Did have to service the transfer case shift motor once.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 1986 or 1988 (I forget) B2 and 1997 Ranger had autohubs, right in the manual they tell you they are not intended for heavy duty use on a ... farm :-D

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Maybe I'm just lucky ..... no issues with the auto hubs for 25 years.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Auto hub’s just don’t take the abuse like manual hub’s! It’s not that they are bad! I still have them on my 85 Bronco ii and never had a problem with them! Of course I don’t beat the brakes off of it either! You don’t want to be revving 4 grand and having the 4x4 kicking in and making your auto hub’s lock! No they will not last! They break and then people called them junk. But no they ain’t junk, they wasn’t designed to be abused! From what I have learnt from research, they work by the spinning of the axle! Therefore the harder it spins and slam’s those gears together and causing wear, something is gonna break sooner than later! Like I said earlier, mine have never missed a beat! Worked every time I ever needed them too. Don’t get me wrong, I’m changing mine to manual hub’s! Just because I have them and you never know! Might get a wild hair one of these days!!! Lol
Just my PO and .02 cents!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals