• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

manual hubs vs auto

michowski

Reaction score
What is the pro's and the cons to having each setup. Is one better then the other and is it worth upgrading to manual if you have the auto. Im just curious because I read a lot of people going to the manual hubs. Just curious on the differences between the two.
________
ultimate fighters

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
What is the pro's and the cons to having each setup. Is one better then the other and is it worth upgrading to manual if you have the auto. Im just curious because I read a lot of people going to the manual hubs. Just curious on the differences between the two.
with auto hubs they will let you down the most when you need them with the manual ones you know they are locked. the only up side to auto hubs is you don't have to get out to lock them in.i have blowen 3 or 4 auto hubs where i have only had 1 stock manual one go bad. (it had a crack you couldn't see to begin with) on this truck it was the first thing i did after i bought it just need to do the manual case now and i am set.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The autos are weak and break a lot. With manuals, just lock them in ahead of time if you think you'll need 4wd. You can leave it in 2wd with the hubs locked in then shift into 4wd when you need it.
Late model Rangers and Explorers have hubs that are always locked in anyway.
The factory manual hubs are better than the autos, but either way you're better off switching to Warn manual hubs.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford manual hubs are made by Warn, however Warn makes a hub for the rear of a Jeep (they also use the D35 like most early to late 90's RBV's) that is supposed to be alot stronger than the regular ones and will go on to the RBV axle the same as the one specified for the truck. If you go up to parts counter and ask for a Warn hub setup for a 19XX RBV you will get pretty much the same thing as you would have had if your truck came with it, but with a different sticker and grey as opposed to pink or red (depending on age, mine are pink)

If you have vacuum hubs they made a kit to convert them to manual, I am not sure of its availability anymore however.

If you do get manuals, lock them in before you get in trouble, it is amazing the amount of mud that can stick to your boots doing it after fact.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
is it bad for your hubs ( manual) to drive around with them engaged in 2wd for an extended period of time or is it fine for just acouple hours

michowski

Reaction score
whats the difference between my link and yours? Looks like mine has everything except the tool.
________
FT500

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You can drive around with your manual hubs locked and in 2wd. Your axles shafts will spin with your wheels, but it will not hurt them. Gas mileage will drop too. Now don't engage 4wd with the hubs unlocked that will hurt them. :scare:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
That link and price is for the spindle nut conversion kit thats the 6 rings in my link. The price of the kit I showed you is pretty good. You can usually find the hubs for about $150-$250 and the spindle nut conversion kit for about $35-$45 bucks. The tool is like $13 bucks from the auto store.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Now don't engage 4wd with the hubs unlocked that will hurt them.
just wanted to clarify: it hurts your t-case to do this, not your hubs...and only if you do it while the vehicle is in motion when you shift (i use 4-low with the hubs unlocked all the time for moving trailers around the yard or in parking lots).

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Ok.... thanks sludge. I just knew it hurt something to drive(on the street shifting) with it like that.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16

do a little reading here, may be able to get the spindle lock nuts conversion for cheaper.......and that ford body parts place is just for the spindle nuts at 55 bucks.....insane..

if you run oversize tires, get ready to learn about wheelbearing's and keeping the lock nuts tight.

the fun part is getting the locknuts tight on themselves(200-250ft lbs) with out crushing your bearings with preload or spining the lock ring tab over on the spindle and cutting the threads to shit or snaping the pin on the inside lock ring.......and once again overloading your bearings...

One stupid trick I have found that helps but dose not cure the problem is to weld build up the tab on the lockring to fit better in the spindle snout key way.
I have pics of this Ill try and find them and post them later....
even with the build up I still have to use a spanner wrech I ground down to fit, to hold the inner locknut while trying to get the outter nuts tight to lock the assmebly.
I also recomend some thread locker of your choice on the lock nuts.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
As for driving with the hubs locked on the street with the t-case in 2wd,no problems at all for the hubs.This acutally puts less wear on the hub bearing,but more wear on everything else.(axle shaft ujoints,front diff etc etc)Also make sure your spindle bearings(there are caged needle bearing's in side the spindle snout that the axle stub shaft's ride on)are in good shape and lubed.as 60mph jaunts dry could cause some problems in theroy.
-------------------------------------------------------
If you get manul hubs and want the best of the best of what's out there for the ranger get the jeep hubs.they have a better "hub bearing".This bearing is in use anytime your hubs are unlocked.
heres a link to the tech board with part numbers
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May04/offroad.htm

ok enuff rambling for me

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
here what I mean by weld build up of the nub on the lock washer.

and here you can see how thenub fits pretty snug,...also if you look in the snout of the spindle you can see the caged needle bearing's I was talking about........

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals