• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual HUB Locknut Wheel Bearing woes

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
OK, Let me give a bit of backstory. 1990 Ranger 2.9L 4x4. a while back I replaced my Auto HUBS with Warn manual HUBs, I also did new brakes (rotors, pads, and hoses) (My mistake/lesson learned. I did not replace or properly regrease the wheel bearings)

Fast forward a month later, I'm out driving far from home and I start hearing a squeaking noise from the driver side. I was only like 10 miles from my destination so I tried to make it there, Big mistake, driver side wheel Bearings welded themselves to the spindle and the wheel came off about 1/2 a mile from my destination. Luckily no one was hurt.

I have since learned how to properly pack a bearing, and I replaced the spindle, wheel bearings, bearing seal rotor, pads and brake hose, and hub on the driver side and got the truck back home driving fine.
However I have been very paranoid about the passenger side having a similar failure, so I decided to replace the passenger side wheel bearing and wheel bearing seal as well.

Anyways so As I am reassembling the passenger side, I put the first lock nut with the pin on, tq it to 35ft/lbs, back off 1/2 a turn, than tighten to 16 in\lbs. then I put the tabbed washer on, then the 2nd lock nut, as I try to tq the 2nd lock nut to the recommended 150ft\lbs, I can see the inner locknut and washer begin to spin with the outer locknut. They seem to start spinning at about 80 ft/lbs. Thus by time I get to 150 ft/lbs of tq on the outer locknut, the inner lock locknut is significantly over torqued on the wheel bearings. Am I missing something here? It would seem the tab of the washer isn't long enough to lock it in place. It's even started to mar the spindle threads a bit.

I did not have this problem when I rebuilt the driver side, than again I used a spicer locknut set and it was a brand new spindle on that side. IIRC, I used a warn locknut set when I originally did this. Is the spicer washer that much better? or maybe it had more to do with the brand new spindle on the driver side?

I tried setting the outer locknut just to 120 ft/lbs, but the inner one still spun some and I'm pretty sure its too tight . After a short drive my driver hub is still cool to the touch, where as my passenger one is kinda warm.
Any advice or solutions? I was going to buy a new spicer spindle nut set, But I haven't been able to find one local. And I don't have a welder so I can't weld extra metal to the washer.
I need to drive like 40 highway miles this weekend, so I really need a quick fix and I cant really wait for bronco graveyard to ship a spicer one.

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
TLDR: inner spindle nut is turning in spite of the washer when I TQ the outer nut, resulting in over torqued wheel bearings. Seems the tab on the washer is too short, are there any solutions?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You can try to carefully squeeze the washer in a vice so that it is very slightly oval shaped and forces the tab deeper into the keyway. It's a tricky process. But can be done. If you squeeze too hard, you fold the washer.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You can also grease just the outer face of the washer, and it should give you a frictional advantage.

BTW, you are lucky to have gotten a month out of it. Last guy I knew who did that it lasted two days. He did the bearings Saturday morning at work, drove 10 miles home, went no where on Sunday, and his wheel fell off pulling back into work Monday morning. He very nearly got fired after admitting that he had no idea he was supposed to grease the bearings.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Along with the other suggestions I should add, that outer locknut has been known to back off as well! Though I've heard the torque is normally closer to 170ft-lbs a number of people recommend 200 or even 220 if you can muster that with the torque wrench.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what i generally do when packing wheel bearings, is buy a meat injection syringe from the store, snip the end and pack it with grease. use that in between every roller to inject grease. i find its cleaner than packing, and probably does a better job. i also generally hand tighten the inner nut after setting the bearing, then crank the outer nut as tight as possible with some lock tight. ive only ever had one issue and that was when i used a master pro bearing. the nuts kept backing off, and the bearings eventually fused to the spindle.

you also might try these, have not used a set myself but it looks promising. https://www.amazon.com/Stage-DNA-44-Assembly-Corporate-Spindles/dp/B00776GZCC

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I ended up buying one of the bearing packers for $30 and saved a ton of time and mess.

- So on Friday I took off the lock nuts and re torqued them on. This time I used a screwdriver to push down on the washer where the tab was while I tightened the outer locknut as tight as I could. Then I actually torqued it down in stages, 50lbs, 75lbs, 100lbs, etc.. all the way to 150 ft-lbs and the inner locknut never spun. So using a screwdriver to hold the tab down in place while some torque is applied worked.

Now the only issue I'm having is my passenger side HUB is getting noticeably hotter than the driverside. It seems to get hotter during stop and go driving compared to Hwy driving so I think it may be a caliper sticking rather than a wheel bearing issue. So I'll try greasing the caliper to see if that helps. I think I am also gonna try swapping the other brand new HUB I have onto it and see if it dissipates heat faster, because the body of the hub seems to be a different material on the new ones vs my old ones.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
what i generally do when packing wheel bearings, is buy a meat injection syringe from the store, snip the end and pack it with grease. use that in between every roller to inject grease. i find its cleaner than packing, and probably does a better job. i also generally hand tighten the inner nut after setting the bearing, then crank the outer nut as tight as possible with some lock tight. ive only ever had one issue and that was when i used a master pro bearing. the nuts kept backing off, and the bearings eventually fused to the spindle.

you also might try these, have not used a set myself but it looks promising. https://www.amazon.com/Stage-DNA-44-Assembly-Corporate-Spindles/dp/B00776GZCC
These won't fit inside the D35 locking hub.

traacer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I added some weld to the washer tab to make it a little longer and fatter toward the bottom in the keyway channel. It still clears everything and allows it to get torqued down to where it needs to be. It's not hard to do and hasn't let me down yet.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
traacer said:
I added some weld to the washer tab to make it a little longer and fatter toward the bottom in the keyway channel. It still clears everything and allows it to get torqued down to where it needs to be. It's not hard to do and hasn't let me down yet.
Killswitch21 said:
And I don't have a welder so I can't weld extra metal to the washer.
Welding is not an option unfortunately.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You can try to carefully squeeze the washer in a vice so that it is very slightly oval shaped and forces the tab deeper into the keyway. It's a tricky process. But can be done. If you squeeze too hard, you fold the washer.
I used to do this myself. It worked good for about 4 or 5 washers, then I had one actually break. They (or at least some of them) seem to be rather brittle, so yeah, be careful if you try this (it only needs to be bent about 1mm or so out of round).

Since I have a welder, I just do it that way now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals