• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

manual 3.0 versus auto 3.0

jsimmert77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Now come on guys... be nice.. people make and honest mistakes and clearly he mistaked a 1 for a 3.. hahaha

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
30 hwy I would possibly believe but not city...

I love my Stick compared to the auto, my 3.0L stick vs my moms 4.0L auto... I won. An auto has the advantage of smooth shifts and better towing experience but I have towed vehicles with my stick and gotten good shift and everything.

Its mostly a personal preferrence.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:bsflag:i'm not even getting 30 with the 4 cyl :dunno:

AAAlovesME

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0ohv
Transmission
Automatic
My last ranger was an 01 single cab 3.0 5spd, My current ride is a 97 xtra cab 3.0 auto & what a dog it is!!! What are the requirements of putting in a 5spd besides the obvious tach?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
My last ranger was an 01 single cab 3.0 5spd, My current ride is a 97 xtra cab 3.0 auto & what a dog it is!!! What are the requirements of putting in a 5spd besides the obvious tach?
Basically you will need: 5 Speed, flywheel/clutch/pressure plate, master and slave cylinder, pedal set, computer for the proper engine and transmission (possibly?).

Best to just get a parts truck with a seized motor. And you technically don't need a tach. Its just there for people that can't hear the engine.:icon_thumby:

99rangerstd3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
I will not ever own a rig that doesn't have a manual!! (with the exception of ford's 2011 superduty... at least it has a 'manumatic' tranny, and i think i can let it slide because it's a ford :D )

my '99 3.0 has a 5 speed, and the 89 2.9 my old man used to have (i totaled it :dunno: ) was a 5 speed. Makes the trucks fun to drive, feel like it has better power, and, in my experience, gives them better mileage.

Recently I have driven, and ridden with many times, my friend's '97 3.0 auto. It feels like a turd, shifts CONSTANTLY, and he gets worst mileage being easy on it than when I was driving the '89 like your every day led-footed teen (read in the parentheses in the seccond paragraph once more). LOL

jglen490

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ive got a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT with the 3.0L V6 engine, Ive got the 5 speed Manual transmission version, and I actually did a test with my buddy who has a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge (3.0L as well) that has an Automatic transmission. We raced eathother down a long flat dirt road in the country one day. Keep in mind we both have performance catback exhaust systems, K&N cold air intakes, and JET Performance Programmers, but overall, my Ranger did jump out in front from the very start, but my buddy was right on my tail the entire race, I beat him of course, but I only beat by a car length. This proves that the 5 speed Manual Transmission definately has more get up and go than the Automatic trannys.
Actually, all it proves is that likely the 5 speed has a lower gear ratio first gear that does the automatic. You make that point by stating that your buddy stayed on your tail throughout, after the initial acceleration.. A manual transmission is a genuine pain the butt under certain conditions. In normal driving, it comes down purely and only to preference with modern automatics :annoyed:

2wdmuddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
beefy 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
out of curiosity has any one ever thrown in the auto with a manual valve body in there compared to a 5 spd

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My auto has all the tricks & parts done to it, valve body mods, oversized servos, shift kit, converter, etc done to it & it is no slush box, shifts are quick & firm, I did not do the manual valve body as this is my DD. I have had another vehicle with a manual valve body & to answer your question they are sorta like a manual but not quite. Of course no clutch, and with a full manual vb if you shift through the gears too fast the motor either bogs some like a manual would (depending on your convertor may go back to stall speed (rpm) then launch again) or you can hold it too long and run out of gear. A full manual Auto with a trans brake is a blast to drive, but you will see increased trans temps almost all the time, so not the most friendly DD, in my opinion

JP02XLT

jds535

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know why so many guys say the 3.0 with an automatic is gutless. Mine has some zip. If I mash the throttle getting on the highway, it downshifts, tachs out to about 4.5K and really scoots. If I get on it hard from a dead stop it gets up and goes pretty quickly. Its not a V8 but I like mine on the highway and around town. Its got 3.73's. So I get about 19.5 mpg around town and 22 highway.
Plus, I can drink my cup of coffee on the way to work without spilling it all over myself :). I have hand standards almost all of my life, just sold one. Its nice to not have to shift, and if your trucks running right it should have enough power.
Now that I have replaced almost every moving part on the truck its running really good and I am actually staring to like it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I appreciate the conveniences of an automatic from time to time as well. That said, the only 3.0 auto's I have driven were mind-numbingly slow. Never noticed that problem with a 2.9 or 4.0 automatic. Might have just had a problem with it though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals