• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Making 97 5.0 to 03 ranger jumper harness...need help

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive got an 03 ranger single cab that came with a 3.0 stick shift. I'm using an early 97 explorer pcm so I went to the junkyard and cut the 42 pin connector off of the body side of a 5.0 explorer and I cut the 42 pin engine harness side of the ranger. I want to make a jumper harness between the 2 so any of the changes within the 42 pin connector happen in the jumper and if the truck ever gets damaged I can just buy another body and won't have to re-do all the wiring once again. I've did the wiring before on the truck I drive now which is also an 03 but super cab with electric locks and Windows but I can't find any of the info I used to make the wiring work and it's not able to be unattached for reference.
What I need is a diagram of the 42 pin connector for an 03 ranger and possibly what the wires do. I've already got all the info for the explorer engine harness side. But the info I can find for the ranger doesn't match up to mine. #1 connector on the ranger side harness is a light green/purple wire and #1 on the explorer side is a red/light green wire.
If anybody has done this or has that pinout please help I'd like to go ahead and knock this out while I have some down time. Thanks.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, making an "extension cord" to marry the two slightly different 42 pin connectors together is the path I took on my '96 powered '02. Helped keep things neat under the hood and allowed me to pre-build nearly all of the electrical mods needed to get things to work.

I've got notes on both an 02 Ranger and an 04, not sure which will be close to your 03.

Will be happy to send you what I've got, simply pm me your e-mail address.

The "big" difference I noted between the '04 and '02 was an additional 8 wire plug under the cab joining the Ranger's engine wiring harness to the body's in a second location other than just the 42 pin plug.

That connector was used by the '04 PCM to control the evap/purge system and of all things, the backup/reversing lights.

No way was the '02 3.0 harness going to reach over to the 5.0 plug and the extension/adapter helps keep things looking like they belong.

Last edited:

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks that would help a lot and yes, I wish I would've took this route the first time I did this. I'll pm you my email for notes on that 02. I believe the 04 wiring will be too different from my 03 to help a whole lot. But I went ahead and started matching up the wires that had the same color code in the same pin location and I've got pretty far but there's still 11 open wires on the ranger side and 13 on the explorer side, I need to know if there's any of these that need to be put together or if they just get left open. here's the list...

2003 ranger 3.0 side:
#1 green/purple
#13 white/green
#23 blue/green
#24 pink, loops out and back into pin #31
#28 blue/pink
#29 Lt blue/black
#32 grey/red
#33 red/white, loops out and back into #38
#35 black/yellow
#37 purple
#41 black white

97 Explorer 5.0 side:
#1 red/green
#4 green
#12 tan/white
#13 pink/orange
#20 black/yellow
#24 pink
#27 Lt blue/pink
#28 orange/black
#31 red/Lt blue
#33 red/white
#37 Dk green/orange
#40 white/Lt green
#42 black/white

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The problem I'm having is none of the pinouts I've seen match up to the wire colors of my 3.0 ranger. I've got the explorer side and all the wires I listed for it I know what their function is but i don't know what to do with them yet because I don't know the function of the ranger wires that are still open are. If anyone can tell me what those wires for the ranger I have listed do I think I'll be able to figure out the rest. Thanks.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Best I can come up with quickly

2003 ranger 3.0 side:
#1 green/purple --------(red/green?) PCM Power to relay
#13 white/green --------PATS Anti Theft Communication
#23 blue/green ---------PATS Anti Theft Indicator
#24 pink, loops out and back into pin #31--Stater signal from key switch
#28 blue/pink ----------Starter Relay Gound through PCM
#29 Lt blue/black ------4WD Low Indicator
#32 grey/red -----------PATS Anti Theft Communications
#33 red/white, loops out and back into #38
#35 black/yellow -------A/C Compresser control (temp?/Low Pressure?) (cycling switch then to High Pressure >> Gound)
#37 purple -------------(Violet?) Climant Control panel to PCM "A/C" on signal to PCM
#41 black white -------Ground

97 Explorer 5.0 side:
#1 red/green ----------PCM Power to relay
#4 green --------------Brake On/Off switch
#12 tan/white ---------Instrument Cluster
#13 pink/orange -------VSS and PCM Ground
#20 black/yellow ------(blue/yellow?)Transmission Controls/Clutch Pedal Position Jumper
#24 pink --------------starter system at transmission range sensor
#27 Lt blue/pink ------Message Center pin 5
#28 orange/black ------Automatic ride control module pin 6
#31 red/Lt blue -------starter system at transmission range sensor
#33 red/white ---------Neutral switch for GEM
#37 Dk green/orange ---Power to Pin 30 WOT A/C relay
#40 white/Lt green ----ransmission Control Indicator in dash
#42 black/white -------Ground

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for trying to help even more. I took another look at those diagrams you emailed me and it got me a lot further once I figured out how to read it better. I'm down to 7 wires on the explorer side that I believe I don't have to use at all, and 2 that are ground (#42,#13). And on the ranger side I know #41 will have to go out to however I wire the alternator (ranger side doesn't have pin #42) and #28 blue/orange having to be ground. And 5 wires on that side that I believe have to do with PATS and I leave unplugged. But there's a pink wire at #24 on explorer side and also pink wire #24 on ranger side but on ranger side it loops back into #31. Do I connect all 3 into a connector or leave explorer side open and ranger side looped in. I believe I should leave it looped in and I'm sorry to bother this much but as close as those pinouts were they're still a tad bit off on a few wires. Thanks for any more help and I also emailed you pics of both sides 1st pic explorer 2nd pic ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals