• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MAJOR SUSPENSION FAIL !! Now what? (old aftermarket)

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Welp, after a few minor pot holes going about 40mph at night time, this happened. Clearly it must have been either partially cracked already or was very weak somehow. But it looks like multiple points of break. I felt the right wheel go kinda bonkers and was able to immediately pull over into a parking lot that i happened to be in front of.

I took a look in the parking lot at night and I didn't see what was wrong. Wheel hardware looked fine. So i drove home carefully. It was smooth still. So i was kinda perplexed. Then i spotted it in the daylight.

As far as I know, this is a Rancho 4" lift. No idea how old it is. Multiple people here in this forum have helped identify it by pics.

Is it a single bracket piece that broke? Or two? Anybody have any product knowledge that could point me in the direction of replacing this part? I will also reach out to Rancho directly.

It seems pretty accessible so maybe this is something i can manage to repair if i find the part(s).

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's just the passenger beam pivot bracket, if you are capable or know anyone that is it could probably be welded back together with some gussets. It looks like it just fatigued over time until it couldn't take it anymore...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Wow. THat's about as catastrophic as a failure can be... sure is a good thing that support piece is bolted onto it, probably would have had an axle beam sitting inside your oil pan if it wasn't there.

I would maybe be looking at a different lift kit. As Scott mentioned it maybe could be repaired but I'd be nervous about the rest of the brackets failing next.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Any chance this bracket could have taken the brunt of tension when someone backed into my parked truck and hit the drivers corner of front of truck and pushed it a foot?
That happened in the spring and I may have not seen a set of small cracks which then grew.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Maybe? I'm sure it didn't help. An old lift kit and metal fatigue would be my guess. It happens. I'm glad it wasn't worse.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Wow is right.

I would pull all 4 drop brackets, inspect them all for damage, then have any damage welded up and gussetted as necessary to ensure reliable future use.

Of the 3 brands of suspension lifts I've installed, I would have no hesitation removing, repairing then reinstalling for use (Duff, Pro-Comp and Ford Hi-rider).

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Found this picture from around a year ago, just after getting the truck. See below.
Looking closer you can see above the red triangle there is a segment of black / greasy metal sticking up and to the left. I completely missed this. I think that used to be part of the bracket on top, so it looks like this bracket had already started failing before I got the truck. Maybe from previous owner romping around. I don’t know enough about the structure to take any guesses about what specific incident might have caused it. Maybe it’s just age and it started cracking under pressure. That’s quite unsettling.
I had a cheap shop do an alignment early last year just to have another set of eyes on it since I didn’t spot anything wrong anywhere, and they didn’t catch this slivered bracket either. I know an aftermarket lift requires some real expertise to align and a cheap shop ain’t it, but I just wanted to have at least one shop nearby (mile away) see it as a backup inspection after other eyes had already seen it. Up in a lift, good lighting, etc. They were helpful and enthusiastic, not trying to be negligent. So it’s just one of those things where multiple people, including truck owning buddies crawling underneath to check it all out, all didn’t spot that piece because it’s tucked up in there and easy to miss. And that crack just got worse over time.
I have a reputable guy that I can tow this to. He’s highly recommend by a good friend and he deals with custom suspensions a lot. I will dig around to find a replacement part but that’s a pipe dream. Likely solution is he welds it back together very professionally, then does a total inspection of the whole lift, then a alignment. This is going to cost some cash but it was a step I was going to have to take soon anyways, minus the break. Already wanted to have this guy do the suspension check and alignment.
Question though.. Is it possible for me to go underneath and start unbolting the bracket? Or will I face high tension from connections and likely injury myself and the truck? I’m wondering if I can take the bracket pieces all off so that I can have a better look at the pieces and formulate a plan.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Rancho garbage....and rust belt.

Non rust belters have ZERO.....ability to understand what rust is.

You have to periodically blast and inspect suspension brackets.....except the self disappearing ones in the back ..you just replace them as they disappear.

I have some VMS brackets.....his CAD print file should still be online somewhere like desert rangers. I would have one of those made.

The k member will break before Joels bracket will

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I strongly suggest buying a duff or jacker setup...

Because those arms are next at the axle side....broke new ones. Not a fan of them once they are old and crusty.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I have some VMS brackets.....his CAD print file should still be online somewhere like desert rangers. I would have one of those made.

The k member will break before Joels bracket will
We’re his brackets basically just Ranger STX High Rider brackets?

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
To get you mobile....these for road use will get you by....cost effective.

Wow thank you. That would be amazing if this really fit. Would save me a lot of homework. Any way to know for sure before purchasing? Gonna wait a few days before pulling the trigger on anything.

I’m really not too concerned about it being very off-road worthy for now, until perhaps doing a full suspension redo OR maybe a better sturdier custom bracket. Budget is a big factor right now. My primary commute with the truck these days is a just paved roads and a couple smooth dirt roads. I will use it all winter in snow but nothing adventurous. So maybe that ebay bracket is fine enough for now.
I can get serious about off road quality during the summer and reconsider the whole suspension.
But even after installing this stop gap solution I will take it to my guy and have him do a full assessment of the whole lift.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15

What are the chances that a Tuff bracket will mate up to my Rancho? Clearly this is better quality and not just a stop gap.
I’m just not sure which fastener locations are 4x4 Ford stock and what fastener locations are Rancho.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
It will bolt on.

And will be close if not perfect...it's 2 to 4.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
It will bolt on.

And will be close if not perfect...it's 2 to 4.
Great thanks.
I’ll go ahead and grab this set. Looks like I can install them with my buddy in his garage, which is a necessity here in NY these days. After that I’ll drive it over to the shop for a thorough look over and good alignment.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals