• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

major squealing without belt

larox13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
So, i currently own a 1997 ford ranger 4.0 automatic, but just bought a 1993 ranger 4.0, manual trans that had a plow and was what ive been looking for. It does not have any clutch feel to it ( little to no resistance) the previous owner claims to have replaced the master cyl. but a few shops he brought it to thinks its the slave cyl. does anyone have any ways to test this? i was looking online and it seems with this truck the only way to replace it is drop the trans? also the motor has a VERY high pitched squeel at idel, but not so much at higher rpm. i removed the serp. belt and it seems to be coming from the driver side closest to the firewall.. does anyone have any idea what it could be? i originally thought the AC compressor, but it was not otherwise it wouldn't be squealing without the belt even connected. theres either 331k, or 231k on it so i really am not sure how bad i got screwed over on this deal.. any help would be appreciated.

larox13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
so with some bleeding the system for about 4 hours i got literally all of the air out of the clutch and now its hard as a rock, and it is leaking out of the slave cyl. i looked through the little rubber grommet and into the trans. and the clutch fingers are not even moving nothing moved when the clutch is pressed. so does this sound like a slave cyl issue? also the squeal changed when i bled the system it is near gone so could that be an issue with the slave as well?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
It does sound like a slave cyl. issue to me, and at +200k's you are probably due for a new slave even if the existing one is functioning properly.

I had a similar issue with a squeal coming from around the same area that you describe that resulted in dropping the trans and finding that while my slave was definitely showing signs of wear my source of the noise was my pilot bearing that was missing the inner race and all but 2 or 3 of the rollers.

So my advice would be to drop the trans and check/replace the pilot bearing and slave cyl. and look at the clutch assy.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

Oh and btw it is a true pita to bleed the clutch system.

Posted using stuff

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals