• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Maiden voyage story, pics added

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 2001 explorer V8 unicorn (as far as I can tell) as a donor for a Ranger swap.
It was a Mississippi car which means it hit one or more immovable objects in its life.
With this car a baby momma and a baby daddy who thought they would do something cool with it, after baby momma drove it into a fireplug—— decided to unload the “remains” soaked with pot smoke, black mans mild wrappers, monsters spilled and some Starbucks Mochas (or a murder took place in the car).

No matter, it was a great drivetrain with 237k on clock and 2wd. Yep, a 2001 with 2wd. Now from all data, Ford didn’t produce 2wd in 2001, only awd. I can’t find valuation references for anything but AWD. But for sure, my peg leg 3.55 rear by VIN decode is from the factory and the car is as delivered by Ford.

I had two ranger swaps planned and this was to be daily driver fodder. But funds in 2020/2021 (investments) hit the skids as did for all of us and the heap of crap never intended to be roadworthy again, sat silent.
But….. as I looked over the car many many times, I had a vision of it being back on the road, even if only a beater.
I started with many hours at the junkyard and procured all the replacement parts, front bumper, hood, a front wheel. I decided that If I put a few bucks and a bunch of hours into it, I could sell my 90 Frankentruck ranger that is devoid of AC and have a bit more comfortable car to drive as a beater/family backup.

Little did I know!!

Fuel pump died, windshield was a bitch to replace compared to a ranger, all new energy suspension, ball joints, bushings, pinion seal replacement, side mirror, hood, bumper, wheel, brakes to the backing plates all way around, plugs, coolant, attempted AC repair, two new GY tires, bearings, PS pump, belt……..interior cleaning that made Texas chainsaw massacre look like a clean room event- repaired the temp/nav display (resolder), column shift realignment and repair, spare tire, shocks, purplepower and simple green mixed—- on everything—- remove the pot remains—- holy hell— would it ever end and be useful.

But thedrivetrain, the pristine well maintained drivetrain. Factory replaced trans at 32000 miles under warranty, PCM reprogrammed twice by factory. Oil changed proper, trans serviced…… what a glorious high mileage drivetrain. It must be retained for a future build and to do that, I need it ambulatory and insured and driving.

My wife and I yeatersay, as partial “empty nesters” spent Thanksgiving day on the maiden voyage of the vehicle. The vehicle has accrued about 300 miles post suspension/brakes/tires/alignment and the harsh fresh suspension has softened to what I call a 1990 Mustang GT ride quality and it handles like one.

I live in the Midsouth but not long. I drive all over the states daily but my wife has seen little. So we left Memphis to drive the new, clean, well worn but highly bad ass jalopy across Arkansas 412 from about Jonesboro to Springdale.
I believe I have hit 20 mpg average and that is in the hills of the Ozarks at strictly the speed limits. The car is stunning. By far the quietest, best handling, most powerful and authoritative, smoothest riding car I own. It’s comfortable for my wife to ride in, more so than her ultra low mile one owner 2002 Expedition 5.4. It out drive the exped all day long. It’s such a pleasure to drive in I’m shocked.

This is the only explorer I’ve ever owned. It’s also the first explorer I’ve driven, ever, sand a short drive in a 2016.

Just wanted to make folks aware that the V8 explorer, as bad off as mine was, is still capable of being a worth vehicle without it dismantling to merge into a Ranger (albeit great for that too).

If you find one that your mind can find some redeeming qualities in, a little surface rust, a few scratches….. consider a couple grand investment in it to redeem it. I was into the car $1500 on the MS title. I put $2500 into it all in parts and the alignment, $4000 in. Amortized over the next 60000 miles which is what I expect the car to now last without major input (maybe an alternator, etc) since all major systems with fully serviced), it will take me 5 years to accrue those miles and that’s about $80/month.

And it’s a car I had no idea I would enjoy driving as much as I have, enough so that on Black Friday in a hotel room in Springdale Arkansas, I sat up in bed to type this post out!

RBV!!! If only it was an OBS, that’s all that could be better!

Makes me really look forward to completing my 87 ranger 5.0 swap.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Nice review!

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
First fuel stop, highway 55-65 up and down through Ozarks on 412,

ready—-

22.13 mother freaking MPG!!!

POW- my new road trip car!! And the suspension has broken in at Cadillac quality- no shxt!!!
I want 2 more just like it——

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
I never had a v8 explorer, but the wife and i did have a 98 sport with the 4.0. It was a really nice riding truck once we changed the front sway bar links out. Smooth and comfortable, for sure

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I filled again and figured out the 22.13 was an error.

I have for35 plus years performed the same filling method for repeatable mpg calcs. The Walmart I stopped and fueled was auto stopped, clicked twice to ensure not a false. That’s the method. Turns out even though the following 285 miles was arduous and steep hilly and highly variable with speed, there is no way that I got a full fill at Walmart!! No friggen way.

In some podunk spot on AR9 in the Ozarks, I took 19.2 gallons on 285 miles. So…. 14 mpg!

To confirm matters, running heavy uphill grades for 60 miles to Blanchard Caverns near Mountain View, AR on that 19.2 fill, needle is pegged at full and doesn’t move in any direction up or down hills.
That proves I had a less than full fill at Walmart and that buffered my real MPG.

Im pissed about all the wasted time computing. I have no idea except in town (Memphis) it did 16.5 repeatable and verified.
Maybe Walmart fuel was shite but I doubt the product Valero that took 30 mins to pump in podunk Arkansas—— was any different/better/worse.

Car is still driving hugely bad axx.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> I bought a 2001 explorer V8 unicorn

Actually, easy enough to find, just not as many offered as the v-6. I suspect most owners like the v-8 very much and tend to keep them longer/forever vs. the typical v-6 owner. I might have fixed up my wife's 2004 Mercury Mountaineer AWD if it had been a V-8 or at least grabbed the engine when the the harmonic balancer self destructed.

2005 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD V8 4.6L Silver - $3,750 (Halls)

Pictures of yours would be nice.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Here, people just get them for the heads.

I used to know where a few v8 explorers sat in people's yards awaiting saving but my oldest son's friends bought them all for their mustangs as spare autocross engines

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Pics will be posted tomorrow. Just got home from the Maiden Voyage with wife.

So at the Valero in Arkansas, the really slow pump, it only flowed about a gallon every 3 mins. Yes it took 30 mins to get my few gallons. $2.99/gal and it was last gas before the Caverns. The pump didn’t stop due to slow flow, the tank overflowed about 6 ounces of gas on ground. So!?$&&) the tank was FULL.

Fast forward, 250 miles exact later after pulling grades to and from the Caverns repeatedly, then the Ozark hills on AR9, 5, 25 and 14….. I expected that my mileage would be absolute crap and that my bubble would be burst.
This morn, went to Kroger, filled tank to the slight overflow, puke from overflow, only to ensure I repeated the fill identical! Turns out the pumps and tank will auto stop at 3 gallons shy of overflow and 2 gal shy of a real fill. I can’t depend on calculating on an auto stop plus a click or two.

With that said—- 18.93 mpg.

Which means that original 22 was probably closer to 20/20.5 on initial run without serious grades.

I have renewed faith in highway mileage. Around town, I’m sure it’s crap or close to crap. That’s ok- it’s the road tripper now.

Pics forthcoming.

I would gladly stockpile 10 of them for drivetrains as was mentioned. I am a border in remission. Firearms, reloading components, vacuum tubes (for audio work), transformers for same, and now pre-2001 Fords (and probably 302s, top loaders and 4R70s) especially after I move to the farm.

See ya.

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Green hood was the best of class at pull-a-part for several weeks. Don’t care- function over form.
In 60k miles I’ll have killed the drivetrain and it will be ready to donate to a ranger following a rebuild.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo

Stumblefoot

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thats a good looking SUV, even with the off green hood. I think it would be a keeper. A great grocery getter and as you said road trips.

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Follow up on car.

Windshield I installed (Chinese junk that I was stuck with due to supply issues)- leaked at top in front of passenger. There was rust abatement and repair prior to install. Several bad Bubba windows before me destroyed the pinch weld. My repairs weregood but the Chinese glass at 35 degrees didn’t want to seal. Found leak after pulling headliner. Sealed the upper seal with FlexSeal liquid injected by syringe for the full upper length of window. Leak gown forever and window pretty much married till death. Cheap, unassuming, done.
Had a shake at 62 mph. It was quite nasty. Walmart GY Wranglers new in front to match the shat existing crap GU Wranglers left by prior baby momma owner. I cheapesnout with only two tires as the rears looked like another 30k left. One was cupped. Neither had a balance weight attached at all. Rebalanced all four TWICE, improved but NOT.

Finally had Hunter Road Force analysis. I think 16 is passing, I had 3 above 50 and one at 80.

I hate Goodyear tires and always have, since 1990 when my Mustang GT died tragically on a set of Eagle GTs at high speed. Junk Shat.
Replaced all four with the cheapest Nexen/Daifungi/Fong Bahs I could (no offense to any Asian descent folks, this are chicom tires of the poorest regard, but are proper size highway tires that are quiet). The car now tests below 13 on one and the rest below 5. Smooth to 90 mph.
In the mean time I questioned the 240k old UJoints. So a set of spicers went in. Miserable to remove, absolute fusion like every other part I have had to service below deck.

Well I won’t break a joint now but that didn’t help one bit. That was the cheapest of potential problems in a coin toss—— I lost. Man the tires were just budget breakers. Pissed me off. I knew when I orders the Wranglers from Walmart I should have bought 4 tires of Foreign junk shat origin—— did I mention my sentiments regarding Goodyear???

Oh and I hate Goodyear tires too.

Wife’s 135k mile 02 Exped popped a fuel pump around New Years. Had to tow home. Replaced a relay and came back to life but there was nothing wrong with relay. A month later in driveway, pump said Sayonara on its last tour. I got an extra month reprieve.
The Explorer is now serving as my wife’s ever more comfortable daily with highest reliability——- very comfortable with new tires now broken in and suspension as well.

Silent vehicle.
I fixed the AC. I have been afraid of AC my whole life.

Being cheap I had to do myself, and because it was a fear I had to overcome.

I am now fearless. I reseal, leak test and find, evac, clean, charge and rebuild any AC system in a car—— it was a great challenge as I needed to overcome NOT swapping parts to diagnose issues and get diagnostic. Leaks had to be found w/o charging. Hated doing it but the outcome was Cheap and awesome.

Frankentruck has had ac removed by Bubba as well and I believe I will restoreFrank to his coolness this summer.

Thanks for the replies!

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Following up on 6000 miles after “resurrection” of the 2001 Explorer 5.0

Wife’s uncle in Louisiana is passing, like in hours or days. Made a 1000 mile round trip leaving Sunday and coming home tonight to say goodbye. Most economical, most comfortable car is still the 2001 Exploder 5.0 with now 243,000 miles. (Purchased with 236,500 on clock)

Aside from the matter of the trip which is terrible—the car which recently received a $109.00 KENWOOD head unit to replace the OE Mach (no sub) system that the amplifiers had pretty much roasted in and the RF section was just a noise fest, not to mention about 13 single CDs from the prior owner still festering in the head unit….. which is a single disc!!!! Yes you never know what homebrew CD will come out, if any, when you press the eject button. It’s pretty cool, like the widows oil story in the Bible, it just keeps spitting out cds!

Plus… (4) Amazon procured el cheap-o 6x8 speakers (grand total on stereo expense was right at $200 delivered)…..

Sounded awesome, drove incredible and put down 18.5, 19.5 and 20.8 MPG on a variety of legs of the trip.
The low MPG was due to wife running around for 40 miles in town before we left. Thereafter it did 20 average at 60-70 mph. No cruise control used.

Oil consumption was 1/4 a quart only for the1000 mile trip.

AC was cold enough to form icicles.
Stereo made the drive in to Louisiana quite entertaining, and on way home, helped defer thoughts slightly from the emotional damages generated by the family matter.

I found another 2001 Green, V8, only 140k miles, a couple of days before the trip. $1000.00 Much better (minty) cosmetic condition from what I have been able to review…… a Souther Car. Not sure if it’s AWD or open diff/RWD like my unicorn. It would be nice if it had leather and such, not as physically deteriorated as mine, still very very pretty. I am considering procurement. I don’t need it but if the drivetrain only needs some experienced TLC and some suspension overhaul—— 140k is just getting started.

BTW: wife doesn’t really want to drive her Eddie Bauer Exped 5.4/4wd with the heated seats and leather and the like….. she would rather “save me some gas money” and drive the road tripper Explorer……

AW- I cry BS. She admits- it hits harder than the modular motor, rides smoother even with stiff performance suspension parts, handles like a mustang….. that’s the real reason she now has adopted my Explorer. Nimble, fast, comfortable seats, nice sounds now (we are OLD and even Metallica is played relatively quietly now!! So a clean 22 watts of class D power and some run of the mill speakers are stellar for a vehicle- we have become quite easy to please)

Not a perfect SUV by any means but it was found as a true ROADKILL car that was brought back to life (and mostly in ROADKILL fashion) and has become substantially bad ass.

As with anything I own, I usually want multiples. They don’t make them anymore so I should hoard a few good ones, right??

Oh….. I think it needs a 70 series Flowmaster on it. There is a slight rattle that if you’re outside the car can be heard, coming from the OE muffler. I don’t like it, distracts from all the good attributes of the car. There may be an update and a video forthcoming. A subtle Boogedy Boogedy will make the car much better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals