• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Maf mod

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not a huge mod and probably covered somewhere else on forum but did this this am for fathers day for myself! 1990 ranger 2.3 maf and the th other is a cali emissions 2.3 ranger 91 iirc, some reason they are 3". Powerstroke IC piping and swap the sensors! 3" hot air intake! My factory boot was cracked and I had the stuff laying around!

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
MAF sensors are used to calculate air WEIGHT, but they only sample 10-15% of the air flowing in, computer extrapolates the rest, lol
So as long as there is not too big a change it won't hurt anything

As long as you can't HEAR the intake air then flow is good, when you can hear the air then there is turbulence

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Unless you kept your factory sensor in it's factory housing, then the transfer function will be off. Guaranteed. The sensors are designed for the housings they're installed in from the factory. Contact ProM Racing and ask them how difficult it is to get the transfer functions mapped out and correct.

Will it run? Absolutely. Will it be optimal for performance and the longevity of the engine and emissions components? Not by a long shot.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes I understand how maf sensors are calibrated, will be gutting it anyway when I order pimp. It actually runs better since old boot was cracked being held with duct tape, just a little deeper intake note.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'll be taking the tuning plunge myself very soon. I already have the PimpXS system. I just have to get my AFR heads and everything else installed first.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah first turbo build was all factory 88 stuff la3 ecu large vam, second is a microsquirt that I'm sill working on and the rangers gonna get a pimp since I want to keep factory harness

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Keep us updated. I'll be watching for updates. I've been contemplating a turbo 4cyl build for years but I've never seen a well documented build thread.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And if you dont believe it runs well heres a little fathers day drive!! Honestly I love how Ibeam suspension handles compared to my fox body! This is with no swaybars front cut springs and shackle flip in the rear 14×5 front wheel 15×6 rear wheel

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Keep us updated. I'll be watching for updates. I've been contemplating a turbo 4cyl build for years but I've never seen a well documented build thread.
Do it man just do it... basicly doubling your power and can be done on a budget if you play your cards right! I started a build thread on the forced induction page so I'll document everything I do!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals