• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Made it home! Did fudge my transfer case? (1354)

MojoWorkin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Supercab 4x XLT
So I made it home in "FWD." Clearly my rear end is hammered. And now I wonder about the tcase. Before any of this started, I noticed switching from 2wd/4wd/4low was sometimes balky. Nudging it forward seemed to help. Visual inspection indicated no leaks.

While creeping home, I noticed that tight turns in parking lots sounded like a FWD with CV joints starting to get funky. Intermittent, and not too bad. Not too good.

If I dropped off the gas in a low gear, it was a little klunky.

Rear flange (now that it has no driveline attached) has slight play. More than a 16th. Let's call it 3/32.

Rear flange now has some oil on it, but it could be from filling it roadside. It was down a wee bit. (Yes, I used Mercon)

Could I have introduced damage by making it send all the power to the front? I'm assuming the front is not as beefy as the rear, as it was assumed it would always be a supplement to the rear drive. I eased it down the road, but I was still "dragging" the rear. Or at least that is what I am assuming. I haven't ruled out that the t-case is also needy too.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Is this referring to the 97 Ranger in your profile or a new 2019/2020 Ranger? If its the 97, we'll move this thread to the proper forum for you.

MojoWorkin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Supercab 4x XLT
Thanks for that - I'm going a bit crosseyed with all the new info I am trying to synthesize.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Probably didn't do any damage to the front end or transfer case that wasn't already there. No, its not intended to be driven that way but it can be done. Your front CV shafts were most likely already toasted before you drove it in FWD its a 97 Ranger its 23 years old that stuff wears out over time, so putting more stress on it by running it in FWD all the way home just wore it out faster.

So now you need a rear end and front CV axles LOL...Transfer cases are typically clunky anyways.

You put transmission fluid in the rear diff? That could be part of your leak issue as transmission fluid is thinner than gear oil, the diffs use gear oil. Transfer case uses transmission fluid though typically.

I'd just look for a replacement axle much easier to just do a swap at this point as you may have cooked the bearings and everything anyways and having one rebuilt would cost far more than pulling one at the pick a part yard.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Probably didn't do any damage to the front end or transfer case that wasn't already there. No, its not intended to be driven that way but it can be done. Your front CV shafts were most likely already toasted before you drove it in FWD its a 97 Ranger its 23 years old that stuff wears out over time, so putting more stress on it by running it in FWD all the way home just wore it out faster.

So now you need a rear end and front CV axles LOL...Transfer cases are typically clunky anyways.

You put transmission fluid in the rear diff? That could be part of your leak issue as transmission fluid is thinner than gear oil, the diffs use gear oil. Transfer case uses transmission fluid though typically.

I'd just look for a replacement axle much easier to just do a swap at this point as you may have cooked the bearings and everything anyways and having one rebuilt would cost far more than pulling one at the pick a part yard.

97 has no CV axles. That's a twin I-beam. It has u-joints.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
97 has no CV axles. That's a twin I-beam. It has u-joints.
Hmm, ok thanks, I was thinking they went to CV's by that time. Thank you for the correction.

So, if that's the case then the U-Joints may be FUBAR, I know the ones in my Bronco 2 need to be replaced too.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Hmm, ok thanks, I was thinking they went to CV's by that time. Thank you for the correction.

So, if that's the case then the U-Joints may be FUBAR, I know the ones in my Bronco 2 need to be replaced too.
97 was the last year for the good setup. 98 started with the garbage CV axles/SLA/low quality frame metal.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
97 was the last year for the good setup. 98 started with the garbage CV axles/SLA/low quality frame metal.
Good to know, thanks for the info. I was just looking at a 2004 Ranger, guess I'll skip that and keep my older stuff LOL.

MojoWorkin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Supercab 4x XLT
Did NOT put transmission fluid in the diff. The front end is fine. No more mystery clicks now that the driveshaft is back in. Traansfer case is fine. Im just a total worry-wart.

Still worried about the rear diff being low - it wasn't that long, but there is some play. Very experienced neighbor looked at it and said his Land Cruiser has been like that for years. But the noise was definitely related to the wheel bearing. I'll get a chance to look closer at the diff when I address the bearing and seal.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Those parts are stout aside from wear items, I wouldn't worry about it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals