• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MAC or PC

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Really? Dell is known for their customer support?

My old inspiron has a broken screen, knife marks, and a few bullet holes in it for a reason.
If you pay for their Gold Tech Support, it is VERY good.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
As said...flip a coin...or go with whatever turns your crank...and what you can afford...applications for OS X were scarce at one point when they rolled it out and plenty of Mac users were miffed by that...I haven't seen quite the same thing on the Windows side, but there are still problems with older software sometimes...and some that simply won't work on Vista...

I prefer PCs only because...hmmm...I have never actually owned a Mac...but I got to play with them plenty at work...I didn't find them any more intuitive than PCs were and if you've been raised on a PC there is really no need to change...other than the toys that you might want to play with that may or may not be compatible with one or the other...

Is cost a factor? Do you have software that you might like to run on your new machine? Do you wake up at night screaming from a nightmare where your Windows won't let you continue with something because it rebooted or decided arbitrarily that it should reboot (newer OS's don't require this nearly as much)...

Some things that may make your decision easier...Women like PC's more...it's been proven...by a major study in China....so if you like Chinese women...

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If you pay for their Gold Tech Support, it is VERY good.
Oh that would explain it :icon_rofl:

Do you get to talk to people who can speak clear english?

I like Microsoft's tech support as in they aren't outsourced, but they didn't seem that helpful.

I've never called Apple's tech support.

Only reason I called m$ though is I was having licensing issues with installing xp on my mac, maybe that's why they didn't want to talk to me :icon_idea:

Last edited:

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh that would explain it :icon_rofl:

Do you get to talk to people who can speak clear english?
If you get the Gold Tech Support, then you speak to people in any one of their 3 U.S. based call centers. One is in Nashville, TN (where Dell's headquarters and manufacture facility are) and one is in St. Louis.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My old inspiron has a broken screen, knife marks, and a few bullet holes in it for a reason.
Your mac may suffer the same fate seeing how un-upgradable they are.

Majority of PC problems are pretty easy (an usually cheap) to fix. What do you do when you Mac describes an "Unknown Error has Occurred."

I have a Mac at my house that we cannot open the cdrom because of a permission issue (it was free, go figure). Wtf? I don't even want to look at it to save my self the frustration.

At least with a blue screen you can get a feel for what's happening in respect to what state the machine is in.

And as far as PCs, you're not pushed into using only Windows as an operating system.

Pete

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Your mac may suffer the same fate seeing how un-upgradable they are.

I have a Mac at my house that we cannot open the cdrom because of a permission issue (it was free, go figure). Wtf? I don't even want to look at it to save my self the frustration.
Pete
Try the paper clip trick...works every time...just push the end of the clip into the hole on the drive and your drawer opens...

But your mac OS needs you to log in as Root and you can set the permissions...and to do that you should be able to log in using the admin password, but I forget exactly how that works...but I used to get about five calls like that a week...when the OS was first upgraded to X it was much more frequent...and the solution is actually simple...IIRC...

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
PC is good for running stuff with numbers. While a Mac is great for designing, photo editing, and mostly graphic design/movie/media making. Also if you are tired of viruses and crashing, try a Mac, they don't get viruses or crash :) That, to me is worth the extra price. I have a Macbook, and I love it, compared to the pc that we have, the Mac is the better one, hands down. Usually it all comes down to......how much money are you willing to spend? that seems to be the deciding factor to most people.

Tiollib

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
parents are paying for a chunk of it and scholarships are paying the rest. I just want a computer that is going to last

DannyG

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would get a Mac, I have the early 2006 Intel style MBP and it is still just as fast as some of the new PC's out there. I have very little problems (until trying to install windows on it for school!), and I have never had an Issue with Apple support.

Like has been said, Depends on what you can afford. I like OS X very stable, and most major software has either been ported or written with OS X in mind.

Just my two cents.

P.S. Been a PC user for 15+ years...

willied

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V8
Transmission
Automatic
Also if you are tired of viruses and crashing, try a Mac, they don't get viruses or crash :) That, to me is worth the extra price.
This is what gets me. Macs have no better protection from viruses than PCs do, there are just less Macs out there. Plus, my PC never crashes nor I have I gotten a virus (at least one that did anything) in the last 4 years of having a computer.

The only reason I would say to get a Mac is if you want a really nicely built computer, but then again there are Windows based machines that are built just as well, and you can get better performance for the price with a PC, along with there being more options.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
copy and paste ftw i would not live with out right click

Tiollib

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ended up getting a new HP laptop got it for less than $500. Dropped my old one and it was dead. Couldnt wait to get one shipped.

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
they have right click when you use a mouse

and command + click on the laptops

:icon_cheers:
Actually just tapping the mousepad with 2 fingers gives you right-click on all the notebooks.

Mac vs PC will never be solved by an internet argument.

But one thing to keep in mind...

Many Windows users have either never used a Mac or used it for 10 minutes in a store or at a friends house. As soon as someone says a Mac doesn't have right-click you know they haven't used one much or at all.

EVERY Mac user has used a Windows machine at some point, and usually quite a bit.

Here in my home office I have Windows 7, XP, Vista, Ubuntu 9.04, and Mac 10.6. These are all separate machines but my Mac actually has Windows 7 and Ubuntu also installed as a virtual machine.

I prefer the Mac.

That said, I work in the media room of our church. I lobbied for a couple of years to get a Mac in there to do the multimedia.

7 months after getting the Mac, EVERY MEMBER (4 guys) of the media team now has a Mac at home.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I have used a lot of Macs and a lot of PCs.

I write software for a living, and strongly prefer a PC. Crashes are a thing of the past really. Win9x had a crappy kernel but XP and Vista are very well designed. I work on a codebase with over 1.2M lines of code...many Macs simply lack the low-cost hardware power to do what I'm doing. ALL the developers I work with would shoot themselves in the head before using a Mac. Mac may work ok for web design and high-level coding, but it ends there.

The only things a Mac gets you are a higher price tag, less available software, and more respect in a San Francisco wine and cheese store.

EDIT: And there is no right-click on a Mac, only workarounds to simulate a right click!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals