• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5R2 Top cover modification

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Long time reader of this forum. This is my first ever post. My project is a bone-stock 91 Ranger, 4x4, 4.0, Automatic. Will be converting to manual trans and installing a 5.0/M5R2/BW4406 drivetrain. The trans is from an early 90s Bronco (M5R2-F1TA-GC). As you know, the shifter location on this trans is not ideal as it puts the stick tight up against the dash especially in 1st and 3rd gears.

I have sourced an M5R2 top cover/shifter fork assembly from a 97-98 model which has the better shifter location. This cover will not bolt directly up to the earlier M5R2 because the forks are wider and will not mate correctly to the transmission sliders.

Is it possible to modify the 97-98 cover so I can use it with my early version M5R2? OR can I install later sliders into the early version M5R2 to mate with the 97-98 cover?

I live in a place where it is next to impossible to source a later M5R2 4x4 from a 4.2 truck. I've been searching for over a year. I would really like to have the shifter location further back.

Hoping someone here can give me hope! RonD???

Thanks,
Kevin

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So no one has ever been successful with using a later version ('97-03) top cover on an early version ('88-96) M5R2???

I'm thinking of machining the later forks down by about .050" so they mate with the early sliders. Early forks are cast iron and thinner than the later forks which are cast aluminum. I'm hoping that they don't become too weakened by doing this. Am I asking for trouble here? or is there an easier way to accomplish this save for buying a complete rebuilt tranny which I don't have the $ for?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes

The later ones are thicker because they are aluminum which is a weaker metal than cast iron.

Instead I would look into converting a later trans to 4wd using your early trans as a donor. Then you could turn around and have a 2wd to resell too.

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So by "yes", you mean no one has ever been successful in using a '97-'03 cover on an early M5R2? I've read posts on TRS that imply otherwise, but these posts have not provided back up on how it was done. I realize that the aluminum forks are thicker because aluminum is weaker but I feel that machining about 50-75 mil won't cause them to shear.

I have not had any luck in locating a later 5-speed, 4WD or 2WD for that matter. We really don't have junkyards here on Oahu. Most vehicles are recycled quickly, so if you're not in the right place at the right time its gone. Plus, for some odd reason, almost all the trucks I've picked are automatics. I rarely come across manual transmissions in my searches.

Another option is to modify the later cover with early cast iron forks OR install '97-'03 sliders in the trans. Has anyone ever done this?

Hoping to get feedback if any of these modifications are doable. If not, I'm gonna plow ahead and figure it out. I will be sure to post up what I find.

But thank you for responding.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So by "yes", you mean no one has ever been successful in using a '97-'03 cover on an early M5R2?
Not that I know of

I have not had any luck in locating a later 5-speed, 4WD or 2WD for that matter. We really don't have junkyards here on Oahu. Most vehicles are recycled quickly, so if you're not in the right place at the right time its gone. Plus, for some odd reason, almost all the trucks I've picked are automatics. I rarely come across manual transmissions in my searches.
Ew... there is that curveball. Old stuff in general was scarce when we were out there three years ago (actually got back three years ago tomorrow) I had a heck of a time finding a later 4wd 4.2 trans here. Most that got a manual got a base 2wd. Most that got 4wd also sprung for the 4.6 or automatic too.

Another option is to modify the later cover with early cast iron forks OR install '97-'03 sliders in the trans. Has anyone ever done this?
Not that I know of. As long as nothing else changed it should in theory work. Keep an eye on year breaks, I know they played with the syncros a lot over the years.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used the trans from a 1994 F150 5.0. Yes the shifter is close to the dash, but never makes contact. My trans sits on the stock trans mount with only some slotting of the mount holes to make it work. Been like that for 35K miles. I used the flat steel mounts and got everything positioned by drilling an extra hole in the driver side mount IIRC. Went through the same conundrum with the top cover and gave up.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I will be building a trans out of three here very soon. I will let you know how it goes.lol

I have a 4.2 trans with the new style speed sensor (not compatible with my 97), a good tight low mileage 95 SBF trans with no speed sensor provisions, and a nearly junk 90 SBF trans with correct speed sensor (previous owner ran gear oil in it)

Current plan is to swap the 95 SBF gears onto the 90 SBF output shaft (but use the 4.2 shift collars, or swap the iron forks into the 4.2 top cover), then put that newly assembled gear stack into the 90 or 95 SBF case with the 90 SBF speedo sensor tail housing.

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I will be building a trans out of three here very soon. I will let you know how it goes.lol

I have a 4.2 trans with the new style speed sensor (not compatible with my 97), a good tight low mileage 95 SBF trans with no speed sensor provisions, and a nearly junk 90 SBF trans with correct speed sensor (previous owner ran gear oil in it)

Current plan is to swap the 95 SBF gears onto the 90 SBF output shaft (but use the 4.2 shift collars, or swap the iron forks into the 4.2 top cover), then put that newly assembled gear stack into the 90 or 95 SBF case with the 90 SBF speedo sensor tail housing.

You are in the same predicament as me. Either swap out the collars (sliders I call em), or install the iron forks into the later cover. I really want to avoid rebuilding entire trans since mine is in decent shape and I'm pretty confident I can install the iron forks into the later top cover. To do it, the iron forks will need to be modified by cutting off the arms that mate with the shifter stub. After this, its just a matter of reinstalling them in the proper location in the later cover. This will most likely entail re-drilling the mounting holes thru which the holding pins go in. Please keep me updated on your progress and I will post up my progress as well. I'm curious if you go the route of swapping out the collars on the output shaft. Will that option even work?

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used the trans from a 1994 F150 5.0. Yes the shifter is close to the dash, but never makes contact. My trans sits on the stock trans mount with only some slotting of the mount holes to make it work. Been like that for 35K miles. I used the flat steel mounts and got everything positioned by drilling an extra hole in the driver side mount IIRC. Went through the same conundrum with the top cover and gave up.

What stick shift are you using? is it offset?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm using the stock F150 shifter. No bends, no offset.
You can make a Ranger shifter fit the R2 shaft too.

I have a chrome FX4 Level II lever on mine, I had to grind a different notch for the wedge bolt.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
here's a pic of how close the shifter is to the dash in 1st gear.

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
here's a pic of how close the shifter is to the dash in 1st gear.
View attachment 51110
Thanks for the pic. Looks like enough room to operate no problem. You said that you had tried to use a later cover on your '94 M5R2 but gave up trying. What modification to cover/trans did you attempt? Curious...

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the pic. Looks like enough room to operate no problem. You said that you had tried to use a later cover on your '94 M5R2 but gave up trying. What modification to cover/trans did you attempt? Curious...
I pulled the top cover from a newer M5OD transmission and discovered the wider shifting yokes. I couldn't see a way to make it work, so I gave up on the idea.

Highway101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the questions and answers here. I have been searching the interwebular device for some time and have not been able to get the question answered. This is the closest I have come. There is a wrecking yard near me that has an early 5 speed behind a 300 6 2 wheel drive and an 03 4.2 V6 2 wheel drive. I might just buy both and see for myself what can be modified. I really need the 4x4 transmission but haven't located one yet of the right year. I could also get the tail housing and main shaft and do that swap but don't know if the early and late will swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals