• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5R1 Trans Reassembly and Lube

vanmor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Got all my parts in today to reassemble my M5R1.

My stepdad asked why can't you use motoroil for lube in these transmissions. Something like 5w or 0w. I have read that you can't use Mercon and that you can. I heard you can only use Dextron. Then some people use like B&M Trickshift synthetic.

What can I use for lube in my 91' M5R1 Ranger 2.3 ?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A few guys here have been using 0w-30 synthetic motor oil in the M5OD without issue.

Mercon is the fluid specified by Ford for it, so if someone said you can't use Mercon, never ever take advice from that person again (unless it was Mercon V that you read, and you left the "V" out of your post... Yes, Mercon V has been shown to negatively affect the quality of shifting. All M5ODs thru '07 spec Mercon (not Mercon V) to be used).

Mercon (aka DextronIII/Mercon) is usually labeled "Dex/Merc" these days, so look for that on the label (it'll say on the bottle it's for Mercon applications)

vanmor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4X4junkie,

Your right, it was Mercon V that was listed and said NOT to use.

I read a post somewhere that said use Mercon or Dextron and change every 12,000 miles. We're talking what, a quart and a half ? I think thats wise advice.

Thanks for the info.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe they take a smudge over 3 quarts to fill completely.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i have ran pennzoil syncromesh fluid in mine before without any problems. its not a synthetic though. about a year ago i switched to mobil 1 0w-30 full synthetic motor oil.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It's actually a smidge UNDER 3quarts.
Spec is 2.75quarts.

But if you simply fill it level with the fill plug it's almost exactly 3quarts.

As for what fluid? I'd recommend against engine oil, if you run engine oil it goes "funny"
fairly quickly... it isn't mformulated for the Shearing action that transmissions generate.

B&M trick shift? should be fine.

and it's distinctive blue color will tell you that any red puddles aren't yours....
an important thing to know:)

AD

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
wait, i was told by someone on here that Mercon V IS what i should use...is it destryoing my transmission being in there? or can it wait a little while before i change it to something else? i don't mean to thread jack but i just read that and kind of panicked...seeing as my daily work commute is 70 miles a day.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
There have been reports of shifting concerns when running mercon V in the earlier M5OD's.

It won't wreck anything, if its not causing you any issues, don't be too concerned. Ford says it is fine to run Mercon V in them now as they have phased out regular Mercon.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My buddy's truck I think ended up with Mercon V in it at some point from one of those "quick-change" oil places. It seems the synchros never did fully recover from it, it continues to be a little stiff or "notchy" even after putting straight Mercon back in it. Take it for what it's worth (the truck does have about 170K IIRC, I s'pose it's possible they may just be worn too).

Mercon V will not damage any of the hard parts though (gears, bearings, etc.).

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
A few guys here have been using 0w-30 synthetic motor oil in the M5OD without issue.
Bumping this old thread as it's the only one I found in here that mentions using 0W-30 synthetic motor oil in the M5R1. I've used this in my '91 F-150's M5R2 for years without issue. In fact when I made that decision I found a factory document which recommended it (can't find it now).

Any way, just wanted to confirm it as a viable alternative, from my own experience. It's what I'll be putting in the M5R1 that I currently have on the garage floor which will be going in the '89 Ranger.

On a related side note, can someone confirm that you can fill from the shifter hole? I'm pretty sure that's what I've done before.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Bumping this old thread as it's the only one I found in here that mentions using 0W-30 synthetic motor oil in the M5R1. I've used this in my '91 F-150's M5R2 for years without issue. In fact when I made that decision I found a factory document which recommended it (can't find it now).

Any way, just wanted to confirm it as a viable alternative, from my own experience. It's what I'll be putting in the M5R1 that I currently have on the garage floor which will be going in the '89 Ranger.

On a related side note, can someone confirm that you can fill from the shifter hole? I'm pretty sure that's what I've done before.
Hey, good to finally see ya over here!

Have filled from shifter hole on FM146. Never tried it on the M5

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You can definitely fill it through the shifter hole.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

I can’t promise you that 0W-30 will work in your M5OD. I can tell you I’ve used it in one of my own without issues.... I’ve also used Mercon, Mercon V, Syncromesh, 30w non-detergent engine oil, and Transynd.
Yes, you can fill it through the shifter. Just pull the fill plug, pour it in the shifter hole until it runs out the fill hole. Easiest way to fill one.
I see you’re friends with PJ412... I’m sorry.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Picked up a 5 qt jug of synthetic 5W-20 yesterday. I figure I'll be the guinea pig in testing that one in the M5.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals