• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5R1 Rebuild Kit Identification

Jim_Philly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 L2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Anxiously waiting so I don't have to be the guinea pig! I already have the bearing kit so I'd probably cobble together the synchro rings from eBay.

FYI Cobra quoted me $920 for their -BWS kit. Ha.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Dang. Why would you even bother rebuilding your own if the kit costs that much...a reman trans is only a few bucks more.

crazyramen

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75 R15
Gonna have to push it back further....

There's a big snowstorm coming in this weekend and I don't have a garage to work in lol. It's gonna be a b* trying to get all this stuff out in a storage unit even if it isn't freezing cold out, let alone if it's a high temp of <55*f next week...

crazyramen

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75 R15
GOOD NEWS (for me not for you :haha:)... I got it apart today and it's not the multi syncro design. Someone else is going to have to be the guinea pig xD. I've got the 30 tooth reverse design.

As far as my rebuild goes, I'm going to replace all the bearings and syncros along with the reverse gear. The engage teeth (IDK the name - the teeth on the gear that engage the syncro collar) on the reverse are totally chowdered - probably from my (and the previous owner) beating it into gear after the syncro wore out. Along with that, it also wore out the reverse syncro collar (again, making up terms)
Bad syncro collar (Reverse):
Good (5th):

I've also got some wear that I'm not familiar with, if someone knows a bit more about this kind of stuff and could give me some info about it I'd appreciate it.

I have some on where bearings sit in the case. I can feel some pitting/striations, but they don't feel as deep as some wear that I've felt on a chainsaw cylinder that went bad (but that totally lost compression from them - don't cold rev your saw!!):

There's some strange discoloration (is it wear?) on some of the spots that bearings sit on the input and output shafts.
Input:
Output:

Also I just thought this was cool/weird but here's the 3rd/4th syncro hub. This is the side that faces the back of the thrust bearing. I definitely have to replace it. These striations are mad deep:

Good luck to whoever's gonna be the one to try cobbling together their own kit for the multi piece design!!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Right on... I thought it was 2nd gear that was in question? Not 5th/reverse? The 30 tooth 5th/R variation started in the early 90's... '88 up to some point had 36t 5th/R.

Dunno if I'd worry much about that discoloration on the input and main shafts. That's just where your bearings sit... if they're not loose after you press them on, I'd run it.

I also would not worry too much about the places where your bearing races ride in the case. Every one I've torn down has looked about like that and it's hard for them not to when you're sliding parts through them at an angle during assembly, often several times. I would for sure check the rear bearing retainer and replace it if there is ANY sign of wear where the races sit... I had issues with that on one of mine.

crazyramen

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75 R15
Right on... I thought it was 2nd gear that was in question? Not 5th/reverse? The 30 tooth 5th/R variation started in the early 90's... '88 up to some point had 36t 5th/R.

Dunno if I'd worry much about that discoloration on the input and main shafts. That's just where your bearings sit... if they're not loose after you press them on, I'd run it.

I also would not worry too much about the places where your bearing races ride in the case. Every one I've torn down has looked about like that and it's hard for them not to when you're sliding parts through them at an angle during assembly, often several times. I would for sure check the rear bearing retainer and replace it if there is ANY sign of wear where the races sit... I had issues with that on one of mine.
Yeah it's second, but the teeth on reverse seems to be how sellers identify the kits. Sorry for the confusing text.

I didn't think any of that was a huge deal, I'm glad you agree! Thanks for the piece of mind :)

Jim_Philly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 L2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I certainly will! I'll probably have it apart next weekend and will update then.
Hey there! How did this project go? My truck is still sitting and I'm finally getting ready to actually do the rebuild, haha.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals