• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' the posts that you read.

M5R1 output shaft lock nut

jpark6491

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I am in the process of rebuilding my transmission but I am having trouble removing the output shaft lock nut (it looks as though the tab was punched down in a keyhole of the shaft). I am trying to get it off while doing minimal damage to things around it. I know the nut itself isn't that expensive but any ideas other than cutting it off? I tried getting underneath the tab with a punch tool and hammer but seemed to make it even more difficult to get at.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 4FF3E9EEA14805 Expires: October 1st, 2020

Shran

Junk Collector
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
A small chisel may work. Maybe a center punch. If you have a die grinder you could try grinding out that tab too. Don't be tempted to just spin it off - I did that and broke some of the threads off the output shaft.

jpark6491

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A small chisel may work. Maybe a center punch. If you have a die grinder you could try grinding out that tab too. Don't be tempted to just spin it off - I did that and broke some of the threads off the output shaft.
Thanks for the tips, I definitely don't want to break any threads. I had to replace the counter shaft and input shaft as it is. I have a grinder but maybe I could go to the Dremel first to be a little more precise.

jpark6491

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Unfortunately I had to cut it off, but a combination of small angle grinder and dremel cutting wheel worked to get it off.