• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD vs FM145

abunchofidiots

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I keep reading that the M5OD is vastly stronger than the FM145/FM146. What parts inside make it so much more desirable and stronger?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
It's an entirely different transmission.

better alloys, heavier duty bearings, stiffer case, larger internal parts all around.

It's a newer, better design overall. It's not really a case of one single improvement.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Does it really matter what makes it stronger? As long as it is, lol...

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
There was essentially 3 manual transmissions put into the rangers. The Mazda Toyo Koygo, Mitsubishi FM 145/46, and the Mazda M5OD.

Both the mazda transmissions are stonger then the Mitsubishi and the M5OD is the most desired. None of the parts interchange between the different ones. Although if you have 2.3L or a 3.0L with the M5OD and you can get your hands on a 4.0L M5OD then you can swap out the internal gearing and get a lower 1st second and 3rd gear.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Bigger gears, better lubrication, and the biggest one of all, tapered roller bearings are what set the M5OD apart from the others.
The most common failure points with the Mitsubishi transmissions are the input shaft BALL bearing (which takes the rest of the trans with it), and wasted 5th gears from poor lubrication. Almost any RBV with a Mitsubishi that's parked because of tranny problems I would bet $$$ it's for one of those two reasons.

The M5OD on the other hand... All I really ever see killing them is an owner neglecting to fix a leak (or at least making sure it stays full of fluid). The three small rubber shift-rail plugs on the rear of the shifter housing are known to leak after they've aged some. There's some info in the Tech Library on replacing them with metal plugs.

Although if you have 2.3L or a 3.0L with the M5OD and you can get your hands on a 4.0L M5OD then you can swap out the internal gearing and get a lower 1st second and 3rd gear.
It's the other way 'round... If you have a 4.0L, you can get lower (wider ratio) gears by swapping internals from a 2.3 or 3.0L one into your 4.0L case.

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's the other way 'round... If you have a 4.0L, you can get lower (wider ratio) gears by swapping internals from a 2.3 or 3.0L one into your 4.0L case.
I think the tech library needs to be updated then. Wait nevermind I keep forgetting to put the to one ratio on those things. :icon_twisted:

kenwheeler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My FM 146 crapped out. Went to the junkyard and found another one easy enough. I think I'm going to have the first one rebuilt in anticipation of the new FM 146 crapping out.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Your FM146 is a direct swap for the M5OD-R1. Instead of rebuilding the spare, buy a used Mazda trans to have available.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals