• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD-R1HD Transmission Swap....

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I was looking to swap my R1 5-speed with an R1HD. What ID number do I look for? I have a 1993 ranger and obviously I don't want to get the wrong one. The choices are: 1L54-HB, 1l54-HB, F87A-FA. I think it's the F87A-FA, as that's what's listed in the Hollander (wrecking yard) program for 2001-2004. Does it matter what ID number it is passed those years?

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks very much man. Anything helps!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
the hd trans you are looking for came in 97+ ford explorers, and 2001 + 4.0 4x4 rangers... FYI the only differences between the 2 are stouter synchros in 1st and 2nd gear... you can buy a rebuild kit with those synchros if you find a non hd trans... just to give you another option

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I didn't know there was a reduild kit to buy for the synchros, that's awesome. I've never gotten into tranny work (farther than pulling and replacing). Is it hard and critical, or bolt on?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
it takes a bit of ability to do it without having problems... i personally have never done one myself i have a buddy who does all my trans rebuilds for me but at this point i wouldn't have any fear of digging into one myself...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals