• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD-R1 vs M5OD-R2

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My ranger currently has a 2wd M5OD-R1. When I put in a 302, I want to run the 4x4 M5OD-R2 (with a tcase, obviously), so hooking up the clutch and everything will be easy.

My question is, is will I need to cut another hole in the floor for the shifter, or would I be lucky enough that the R2 shifter will come up through the same hole the R1 uses?

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
the r2 will be way up to the dashbored....kind of fun to drive...i iwll find pics of mine....also some one told me that if you take the top off the newer f-150s like 97 or 98...that top will put the shifter further back

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual

you see the opening for the stock vs my new one...and this is on a gen 1

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What exactly do you mean by taking the top off a 97 or 98?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
He's talking about the shift tower. That will give you a little better shifter position. That's if you an get a junkyard to separate a transmission. Really just find a 4.2 6 cylinder because it will have the SBF bolt pattern and use that transmission.

Matt

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
ya it is an r2...no befor

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Hate to dig out and old thread,buttttt has anyone tried a newer M5OD-R2 4x4 transmission from a 4.2 liter F-150?I'm doing a manual upgrade from a 4r44e in my 2001 standard cab Ranger.I have the 60/40 bench seat with the crap/cup holders under the dash on the hump.I'd like to keep the interior as intact as possible.TIA

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Won't fit any RBV engine. You would need a 4cly m5od-r1, not the r2.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Won't fit any RBV engine. You would need a 4cly m5od-r1, not the r2.
I'm an ass,sorry.I didn't provide enough info.I'm using the M5OD-R2 from a 4.2L F-150.I will be running an OM617 TD.I have a carbed 3.8L as a back up motor.Just gotta find a manual shift T case that will match the passenger side diff, and allow me to use a cable driven speedo.Guess I should have added that.Sorry bout that.I'm ditching the 2.5L as soon as I find a ditch close by.Wonder what the neighbors would think if I dropped that boat anchor in my ditch? :icon_rofl:

basketranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
Hey um Stegomon would be interested in updates with the 3.0 to 4.0 sohc swap. same idea i had. mainly for retaining underhood "room", rather than a 90 degree swap (302).

HAWGFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Draggin this out again.. lol building trucks 2.3 with a turbo. swapping out 4r44e for m5r1,BUT going to build it with the 4.0 heavier duty parts.. Do I have it right? Is there an option with this f150 motor mentioned aboved? I don;t think so because i am stayin with 2.3 and thats what the R! is set up for and fits,so i could not go directly to an m5R2 behind the 2.3,correct?... I been buggin folks a bit thank yall I think i got it now and can scare up the parts.I'm in Atlanta and gonna need everything.so if someone here has an m5r1, housing clutch pedals etc. I'm ready to buy.don;t wait if ya got the parts, and want em gone contact me ,I hit local craigslist alot and just sold a bike... hawgford@windstream.net

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Draggin this out again.. lol building trucks 2.3 with a turbo. swapping out 4r44e for m5r1,BUT going to build it with the 4.0 heavier duty parts.. Do I have it right? Is there an option with this f150 motor mentioned aboved? I don;t think so because i am stayin with 2.3 and thats what the R! is set up for and fits,so i could not go directly to an m5R2 behind the 2.3,correct?... I been buggin folks a bit thank yall I think i got it now and can scare up the parts.I'm in Atlanta and gonna need everything.so if someone here has an m5r1, housing clutch pedals etc. I'm ready to buy.don;t wait if ya got the parts, and want em gone contact me ,I hit local craigslist alot and just sold a bike... hawgford@windstream.net
F150/M5R2 parts will not be useful to you, nor will the 4.0 trans parts, they are NOT "heavier duty" they simply have higher gear ratios. A four cylinder trans is what you need, don't bother looking for any other M5OD parts.

HAWGFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks S.. so none of the internals from the r2 would help the trans handle the power from the turbo 2.3?. Am suprised ,but I knew that the gear ratios were gonna be different. The orginal plans was to go T 5, but theres hyd cable hassle and even just findin a 4 cyl t5. but i don;t plans on a hot rod truckk nor racing it.beatin on it, just need it to pull Harleys in 4x6 and load in bed,.Thanks for chimin in..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope, the R2 is a scaled up R1.

Clutch hydraulics interchange and if you do a little work you can swap shift levers between them (the part with the knob that goes into the cab)

Anything "better" might as well be from a Romulan Warbird, it won't do you any good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals