• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

m5od-r1 swap questions?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
ok my tk 4 speed is about to blow apart wont go in to 2nd gear. i kno what tranny i need im gonna get a m5od and im gonna put a 4.0 clutch and flywheel on so ill need a clutch kit, starter, block plate or mod mine to work and master and slave cylinder. my question is am i gonna have to make my front drive shaft longer or shorter or will it have enough slide in it to work. and the rear drive shaft will it work or do i need it to? if i was to swap in a dana 35 i kno its longer, if i did it all at once would there be any modding the front shaft? thanks in advance

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The M5OD is longer than your TK-4 (by several inches IIRC)

You will definitely need to shorten your rear driveshaft, and lengthen the front.

What you may want to do is try finding driveshafts from a Ranger (up to '97) the same body style as yours (longbed, shortbed, etc.) that was originally equipped with a M5OD, FM146 or A4LD. It's rear shaft should be the correct length (at the most you might need to swap the rear flange on it to mate up with your axle's flange), however unless you also swap in a 1354 t-case (or you have at least 4" of suspension lift), there won't be any getting around needing to mod the front shaft length to work with a D35 & 1350.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
Ok so if I was to put a m5od in and dana 35 I'd just have to grab a rear shaft and modd the front to fit a 1350. The only major work would be getting my front shaft balanced.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Correct. :icon_thumby:

Probably already know, but your transmission crossmember will of course need to be moved back too (I think there are already holes for it in the frame, but even if not, it's just a matter of drilling new ones).

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
Correct. :icon_thumby:

Probably already know, but your transmission crossmember will of course need to be moved back too (I think there are already holes for it in the frame, but even if not, it's just a matter of drilling new ones).
ok thanks man:headbang: just wanted to make sure on it. no problem moving the cross member back that should be easy. im not sure on it but on the 1350 is there one that had a non slip yoke or does the 1354 have the non slip yoke?

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
The 1354 has a fixed flange, as does the hard to find "high rider" 1350 case.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals