• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD Issue and Inputs welcomed.

HeadlandRam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey y'all, Figure I get some input, i believe I know the answer but want to make sure. Rescue ranger (1995 Ext cab, 2.3L 5spd 2WD on 31's) went out of service sunday, I had no issues when i first started the truck and put it in gear and then it went dead pedal. it had a little bit of resistence that faded into no resistance. i did not see any fluid leak and make sure I bled the bleeder valve to be sure. The fluid was full in the master cylinder and I was not having any kind of issue before it happened sunday morning.

Today I bought a master cylinder and Mad dad replaced it, made sure it was topped off with fluid and bled it thoughroughly, It held pressure and then did the same thing as before. I replaced the Clutch, Thoughout bearing, Pressure plate and Slave from Napa (Perfection Clutch stuff) about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago, I figured the stuff should be good . I believe the issue is the slave but i wanted to be sure.

The couple questions i have:

1. It sounds like the slave correct? or could there be more air in the lines?

2. I am thinking on going the napa way again, But would like to get a few more years than 3. Any other good brands to buy and install?

3. Should I replace all like i did before if it is the slave cylinder, Just ofr insurance? and I have a wild hair, but I am partly thinking on a stage one clutch from Spec, I would like to work up and turbo the old 2.3 later on and I have my 8.8 about to go under in the next few months (Taxes and luck willing). Would that help out a little and be good for the Rescue ranger?

Thanks guys!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
to eliminate air in the master cylinder, disconnect the quick disconnect at the slave cylinder then try to push the pedal, you shouldn't be able to (I found this trick on accident when I was putting my truck back together :), found out my original master cylinder is doing just fine), it's difficult to get all the air out of the system if any gets in where it shouldn't be.

If you're replacing the slave cylinder, best to just replace the clutch too, I wish I had on my Tracker when I rebuilt the tranny, if you have the spare cash go for the centerforce pressure plate with the weights, that thing grabs like mad... but with a stock 2.3 not really needed, if not geared right a little clutch slipping helps you get out of hairy situations...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals