• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD internals swap??

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So, the deal is, is my M5OD in my 93 4wd Ranger (it came out of a 94 4wd Explorer), is going out. Its making bearing noises, grinding in second gear, etc).
So, it is going to need a rebuild or new tranny soon.

But, I may have a hookup on a M5OD (I would assume its the HD), out of an 04' SOHC 4.0 4wd Ranger, but the problem is, is that something hit the bellhousing, and broke the bellhousing on the bottom.

I know they are different model trannies (the newer one being stronger), but does anybody know if they are similar enough to take the internals out of the cracked '04's tranny, and put into my '94 tranny's case?

Both 4wd M5OD's, both 4.0L.

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Call a few welding shops, if its just a small piece that broke off, they might be able to reattach it. More than a few people run with a bolt or two missing, so if its one bolt hole thats damaged, you should be fine. Then you could just do a direct swap.

The cases should be the same, so you should be able to swap everything over. It would be a good idea to buy a rebuild kit and replace the bearings, seals, and syncros while its apart, you'll have a virtually new tranny. $300 now might save you the aggravation when you find that the previous owner fubared the 2nd gear syncro haha

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
they have different top plates, shifter stubs, and missing the NSS. Just get the bellhousing fixed and swap the HD in....thats what I did. My writeup is in the tech article thread, have a look.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When I say the bellhousing is broke, it's definitely broke. There are pieces missing from the shell part, and it's cracked most of the bottom side. The clutch no longer works, and if it's any indication, the impact destroyed the block of the motor too... The truck went airborne and landed on a vertical edge of some kind.

I'm pretty sure there's no fixing it.

Do you think it would be possible to do some parts swapping to resolve the top plate/ shift stub issue? I don't the the NSS is an issue, because i don't think I even have mine plugged in.

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You know, now that I think about it, you probably only just need to rebuild yours. Remove the trans and remove the top cover so you can see the internals, if the gears look good and arent damaged, just get a rebuild kit and replace the normal "wear" parts.

And if the trans is that shattered, I might be wary of trying to pick a lot of parts out of it, a small piece of aluminum may have gotten into the gears while it was moved after the accident or one of the shafts could be bent on impact.

kymadan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86-87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
I would just do a rebuild. Shouldn't cost much at all, even if you pay someone else to do it. Just make sure you pull the transmission first. Makes it soooo much cheaper,

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
So, the deal is, is my M5OD in my 93 4wd Ranger (it came out of a 94 4wd Explorer), is going out. Its making bearing noises, grinding in second gear, etc).
So, it is going to need a rebuild or new tranny soon.

But, I may have a hookup on a M5OD (I would assume its the HD), out of an 04' SOHC 4.0 4wd Ranger, but the problem is, is that something hit the bellhousing, and broke the bellhousing on the bottom.

I know they are different model trannies (the newer one being stronger), but does anybody know if they are similar enough to take the internals out of the cracked '04's tranny, and put into my '94 tranny's case?

Both 4wd M5OD's, both 4.0L.
I haven't taken apart either of the M5OD-R1 transmissions I've managed to aquire yet.

But I will probably be doing so either tomorrow or Monday and I'll post what I find.

If anyone with enough real experience with M5OD-R1's to spot the differences has taken apart an "HD" they haven't told anyone about it

And "just to be sure" I already have an earlier 4.0 trans disassembled for purposes of comparison.

AD

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've taken apart an HD from an Explorer and I've looked in (but not disassembled) my R1 before I put it in my truck. I didn't notice anything significant, but at the same time, there may be differences in the sizes of the bearings that I wouldn't have caught without having the parts sitting side by side.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals