• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD Inner Shift Boot? ('94)

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have extensive damage to my inner shift boot, and I'm getting gross, hot (or eventually cold) undercarriage air blowing up into the cab. I'm talking about the rectangular rubber bit, with a raised circular portion, that slides directly onto the trans tower and shifter stub, and is in turn stapled to the transmission tunnel access cover. I've been driving around with duct tape on it. That's bullshit, and it's time to fix it. Junkyard parts are in comparable condition.

The closest thing I have to a part number is "Gearshift Lever Opening Shield - 7D359", which doesn't resolve to anything.

Obviously you can fabricate the metal access cover out of whatever in 10 minutes, but what are people doing about the rubber bit? Is there something comparable for another truck? In the aftermarket?

Like, I don't really want to spend $50 and throw away the upper boot, but is this thing close enough to work? Or something else in that vein.

Thanks!

-----

EDIT: I don't know what the hell my service manual is doing half the time, but I finally found the right combination of search tags to pull up a part number. The actual callout for the floor plate is "7479". The following prefixes are definitely valid, with official fitments as listed:

Discontinued:
E8TZ - '88-'92. There are good pictures of the entire part in packaging on eBay, and it does appear to have a boot on top, but I'm not paying $100-110 for one.
E9TZ - This would roughtly match up with the introduction of the manual-shift t-case, and I suspect it might denote the original plate with the lever cutout, but I can find zero information on it. Actually discontinued after trying to order.
F87Z - '98-'01
2L5Z - '02-'03 FX4 w/ manual t-case (thanks explorerforum).
XL5Z - '99. Actually discontinued after after talking to Ford parts.

"Available":

YL5Z - '00-'06 (or '99-'11, "blanking")
6L5Z - '00-'11

Curiously absent is "F37Z", which I would expect to be the "correct" prefix for my truck, filling the application gap between '92-'98.

The last 3 supersede one another, but are also all listed available on distributor websites. I am not sure if different suffixes denote auto (flat plate) vs. manual (shifter cutout). It appears which suffix might be which is not consistent across the years. Also can't find pictures to guarantee if plates beyond E8TZ include the inner boot.

Last edited:

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I would try to cut it out of a piece of flat rubber. Maybe some duct tape/ pipe wrap that is insulated?

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I dropped by Home Depot, but my local store is pretty beat, and has a very limited selection. I bought these, which were the only rubber sheet available. I also grabbed some weatherstripping roll. Gonna try to reseal the damaged rubber and the perimeter of the plate.

I also placed orders with Tasca for E9TZ-7479-B and 6L5Z-7479-A. If E9TZ actually shows up, and is manual trans/manual t-case, problem solved. If it's discontinued or auto trans, I'll send it back, try to combine the two plates to make one for manual/manual, or just send them both back if nothing works.

EDIT: Predictably, E9TZ was misinventoried, and actually unavailable.

Last edited:

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
If you have trouble finding something. Let me know. I have a piece of rubber belting I can cut a piece off for you. You will have to pick up or pay for shipping.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Okay, followup time. I've been running a Home Depot special made of steel, weatherstripping, zip ties, and plumbing rubber. I'll take a picture at some point.

6L5Z-7479-A came in from Tasca (good lord do they take forever) and it's exactly the same plate, but there is no inner boot attached. The packaging and delay look like they ordered it from Ford to send to me, so I have to assume that at some point (probably where the parts are discontinued) they stopped including the boot.

Can anybody with a later 3rd-gen manual who's stripped their interior or dropped their trans confirm whether your truck even has the boot I'm talking about? If the boot is just listed separately from the plate, I still want to look for it, but if it's not there at all, then I guess it's discontinued / junkyard / NOS only.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can send you a picture of the complete set-up if you need it.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I have one in my 94

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can send you a picture of the complete set-up if you need it.
Please do, if it's not too much trouble. If it would be a pain, is your rubber boot this guy? 6L5Z-7277-C

I just gave up and called parts at the more-or-less competent dealership, and had trouble explaining what I was talking about. Guy told me his catalog really makes it seem like the boot comes with the plate, and it definitely used to in the discontinued models.

Leave it to Ford to split what used to be one integrated piece into two separate parts, each at the original price.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Please do, if it's not too much trouble. If it would be a pain, is your rubber boot this guy? 6L5Z-7277-C

I just gave up and called parts at the more-or-less competent dealership, and had trouble explaining what I was talking about. Guy told me his catalog really makes it seem like the boot comes with the plate, and it definitely used to in the discontinued models.

Leave it to Ford to split what used to be one integrated piece into two separate parts, each at the original price.
Here are the pictures.

Attachments

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Damn, a serviceable stock manual-shift t-case setup is rare air. I have the upper combo boot, but the lower from my drivertain donor truck was destroyed, and I've never seen another. It's interesting that the two holes are cut into one another. I've tried to leave a little strip of metal between them when I cut the t-case hole, for support.

In any event, it looks like newer trucks are indeed meant to have the lower boot. Thank you. None of your stuff happens to have part numbers stamped into it, does it?

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Damn, a serviceable stock manual-shift t-case setup is rare air. I have the upper combo boot, but the lower from my drivertain donor truck was destroyed, and I've never seen another. It's interesting that the two holes are cut into one another. I've tried to leave a little strip of metal between them when I cut the t-case hole, for support.

In any event, it looks like newer trucks are indeed meant to have the lower boot. Thank you. None of your stuff happens to have part numbers stamped into it, does it?
I will check . If your truck was electri 4 X 4 I have an excellent set up with cup holder less the floor plate. That bottom boot is different however.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There is no number on the bottom rubber. Here are the rest. These are made by IRVIN transfer case boot 277532 the bezel 27624 1 shifter boot I have 3 they appear to be identical 276237 and 276490 third one has no visible number. Like another said get some belting , mud flap or some kind of softer rubber and cut one out. If you need measurements , I'll gladly get them for you . Good luck

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
That air never get cold. At least on my truck.

I've considered something like this.

My problem is that using the shifters I have causes issues. 2nd gear is blocked by the tcase shifter in low range. Really need to look into that. Kinda wanna change up my gearshift lever anyway. Prefer the look of the older angled ones.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
what transfer case . can you send a picture of the shifter? Also the length of the lever on the case. I have the 1350 , 1356 and C5 set-ups. All 3 are different.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One more thing what trans?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals