• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD Alternative Fluids

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Mobil 1 synthetic atf and a quart of Lucas auto trans fix. The Lucas reduced the egregious amount of input shaft bearing rattle mine has.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Gear oil also does not make it's way into the pocket bearing between the two halfs of the main shaft. Even with thin ATF that bearing barely gets enough lubrication.

I have heard Redline is good stuff.
I have used Redline D4 in my transfer case and the manual transmission of my son's Mustang. It definitely shifted better and smoother with the Redline fluid. I was researching stuff to use and dudes on a BMW board swore by Redline so I got a gallon of it and had enough left over to use in my transfer case.

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Well, I decided to just try a few different things for myself.

First, I switched over to the Royal Purple Synchromax. At first it seemed to make the transmission a little quieter, but over time it seemed to end up just as noisy as before with the Merc V that I believe I had in it before. However, the shift quality was a night and day difference. It took noticeably less effort to shift, I could shift a little quicker, and it was less clunky. Definitely a great improvement.

After a few hundred miles driving with the RP, I decided to try the 0w-20 full synthetic engine oil I've heard about some people using. I made sure to save the RP stuff in a clean container in case I want to switch back. Anyway, with the 0w-20 in there (I used Mobil 1 synthetic, non high mileage), it shifts almost as good as the RP did. Probably just a tad less smooth. But still, much much better than the original fluid that was in there. The 0w-20 seems to quiet down a bit of the noise the trans would make, but only during light load like cruising. I don't really know if I would be able to fully get rid of that noise, I know my transmission probably just needs to be rebuilt, but I do find it interesting that the 0w-20 seems to have had the best impact on the noise so far. Also, for what it's worth, I've read some people use 0w-30 instead of 0w-20, but I thought that might be too thick compared to ATF. If I remember correctly, I had read that ATF is around 10w, so I figured 0w-20 was enough of a jump in viscosity as is. But part of me is curious how 0w-30 would compare in the trans to 0w-20.

One more thing I would like to try is the royal purple synchromax with half a quart to a quart of the lucas trans stop slip. I know it was recommended earlier on this thread to add some of the stop slip, and I've come across it a few other times where people claim it helped their manual as well. I'm a little more skeptical of using that, because I'm not a fan of using bandaid fluids like that since all they do usually is increase the viscosity of the fluid. But when it comes to using ATF, you don't have many other ways to do so. Anyway, I'm going to run the 0w-20 for a while and try that combination next for comparison. Now that I've tried a couple of these fluids myself - and also reading some of the previous replies - I'm starting to think you can use just about anything in a manual trans as long as the viscosity is about right and the oil isn't going to harm the materials inside the trans lol.

I just want to say again, I'm not recommending everyone go swap out their trans fluid to whatever the hell they want. I just wanted to share my experience trying other fluids just for my own curiosity, and hear what other people have tried and their experiences as well.

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Also, I know this is in the transmission thread, not the transfer case thread. But, all of this has got me thinking - would there be any reason against also using 0w-20 or something like that in the transfer case? When I switched my trans over to the RP Synchromax, I filled the t case with it too. When I switched to 0w-20 in the trans, I didn't switch the t case over though. I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on different fluids in the t case - like would 0w-20 or 0w-30 be a good/bad idea? or would adding a little lucas stop slip be a good/bad idea?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm starting to think you can use just about anything in a manual trans as long as the viscosity is about right and the oil isn't going to harm the materials inside the trans lol.
You're probably right... As long as the fluid is able to flow into small places like the input shaft bearing and the pocket bearing inside it... it'll probably be at least "ok." Cold weather performance is the big thing since ATF is very thin in just about any temperature. A thick gear oil is just not going to make its way into those tiny spaces when it's cold out.

As far as the transfer case is concerned, IMO it is probably just as sensitive to viscosity in particular as the transmission is... the 1350 and 1354 t-cases have oil pumps and the transmission does not. I do not recall any yellow metal that would prohibit you from using a gear oil, but gear oil and probably even thick engine oils at low tempartures could ruin the oil pump. I would stick with ATF or a very thin engine oil.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals