• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50D Transmission 1354 TC won't pull together

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a M50D transmission from a rebuilder, that's had numerous flaws in it, but it's in the truck and I started it and shifted it through the gears(drive shaft not installed) and it seemed to be working ok in that mode, trouble is I can't get the transfer case to pull on it. It's been a slow go getting it most of the way, but it just won't pull in tight. I've got it this far by turning each bolt bit by bit, but it's to a point now I'm worried about breaking something, namely one of the bolt lobes on the transmission
Anybody ever had this problem??
Any ideas?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's not good, the t-case should more or less just slip into the trans. My guess is either there's something on the input shaft - rust, dried grease, dirt, etc or on the female side in the t-case. Or there's a burr on the lip where it slides into the trans. I'd pull it and carefully inspect everything.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
A good rule of thumb when installing a transmission to an engine... a transfer case to a trans... and several other things that bolt together... You NEVER draw them together with the bolt set.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd also get a round brush and clean out that dowel hole that's all rusted. That can cause all sorts of issues.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Shran, I was so tired of climbing in and out from under that truck, man I've taken a beating under that thing the last week, and just couldn't bring myself to tear it back off again. It's as hard to get that transfer case up in there as it is the transmission itself. I turned it by hand a few times in different directions and it didn't seem to be binding anywhere, so I bolted that driveshaft up and drove it 60 miles. It's supposed to rain a good bit here overnight and tomorrow, but soon as I can get back under it I'll see if maybe it's settled in and snug the bolts up some more, if it doesn't bust in pieces first :/

That's very true Uncle Gump, that's why I became worried about it. I've seen that happen to others who kept cranking something on in.

I think you've got a point there too Adsm, and that's the very side that's been the slowest to go in, I also wondered about that myself

I'm really hoping that thing will settle on it, cause I'd really hate having to pull it back off at this point, but if it doesn't I'll have no choice. Going to maybe drive it carefully a bit and see if it'll co-operate. I'm also thinking it'll be very hard to get off at this point, so I sure hope it co-operates :)

That transmission, even tho it's been rebuilt (at least to some degree) doesn't give me reason to have great confidence in it, just judging from what I've seen of things so far. If it will co-operate for a time I'll be able to swap out my original output shaft and TC extension onto the one that came from a 2WD which I believe to be in very fair condition.

Thanks again fellas for your helpful input :)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It doesn't seem to be settling in there so I'm gonna have to pull it apart and see what's holding it up. Before I pull it I'm going to build a holding jig onto my transmission jack to keep it at the right angle when going back together.
I have a rough time working under there with two blown shoulders, and a sore head haha, from last week. Maybe it'll stop raining soon, we've been getting the remnants of the gulf coast storm.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
your driving it with a gap in there? wow. new one for me...its usually because the bolts backed off...not because it wouldnt draw up.

has to be something in the input shaft.. but there is an ext housing that is a 1/2 in different that i remember....

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks bobby, I'll check it with mine when I pull it back off. I took a picture but can't move it onto the computer till I find my old cord :/
It really isn't very much left, one side is almost tight and the other is maybe a 1/16. Since it seemed to be turning ok I hoped it would settle on in after a bit but it hasn't, so I'll have to pull it back off and see what's going on.

I kept my origonal core to rebuild and I'll check the extensions to see if they're alike. I might even swap extensions. This transmission has flaws, had i not needed it so bad i probly would have rejected it with the shipper. These guys really made a mess of the whole show, if it fails I'll likely give them some very bad reviews, but that's about all i can probably do at this point is to warn whom I can not to go there

Actually I did look at the output shafts, eyeballed the distance they each stuck out, they looked pretty close to being the same

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah, its rare.

and as far as i know it does not cause an interference issue with the t case to trans...but can bind the dc joint on certain front driveshafts..

i know about it because the company that warrantied my a4ld trans when i initially bought my ranger ((the one in my sig)) sent me a new explorer trans instead of returning my original unit like they said they would....i marked my unit and they had to scramble to correct it when i called wondering whose trans they sent back to me...

i was used to c6, aod, and c4, differentials of extension housing length let alone gm, jeep ect so i never suspected it was odd. i had seen a m5od r1 6 hole adapter as well in detroit at one of my suppliers. later when i found out all of them are supposed to be the same, i had wished i kept the damn thing.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's rare i use 4X, mostly in winter and spring rains,when this black dirt turns to swamp

I'm thinking Adsm was right on about the dowel, and that was the slowest point to go in. That hole may be blocked with that galvanized? coating they sprayed all over it to make it look like clean aluminum

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals