• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

m50d-r1 weird noise

93rangemaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I started hearing this weird noise from my transmission. Drained the fluid and found this in pieces in the fluid, may be missing pieces... snap ring maybe?

*Figured out that the ring pictured was a shifter bushing washer just trying to figure out what the noise could be now*

I sorta pieced it together, here are the pieces...

The transmission continues to operate normally, however it's now making a mid-toned metallic ticking noise, the speed of the tick is relative to the speed of the vehicle and sounds the same in every gear. What the heck do I do? :shok:

think I'm going to open up the access panel on top of the transmission.I looked through a few rebuild threads and the only thing it looks similar to is the snap ring for the 5th/reverse fork.

thanks for the help

Last edited:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You won't see anything that is related to reverse or 5th gear by taking off the shift shaft cover. If you pull the transmission you will need to pull the tailshaft off to access those gears. You can also do this while the transmission is still in the truck. What you pulled out looks like a bearing shim. The snap rick for 5th and reverse is the size of a dime.

93rangemaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the quick reply!
What would cause the bearing shim to spit out? So opening up the access panel is pretty much pointless? I've been looking in pick n pull for a 4wd m50d and all I have been able to find is a 2wd. Should I take the 2wd and put on my output shaft and tail housing? Or would that missing shim be from my output shaft since it's relative to the speed of the truck?
p.s.
Should I be concerned driving the truck currently you think? or is the noise just coming from the bearing now having the ability to slide back and forth about .5mm on the shaft.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Does the stickshift seem sloppier at all? If so, maybe the shifter bushings disintegrated and the metal spring shim that's in there fell down into the trans to get mangled up like that by the gears. The ticking you're hearing could be a small piece of the shim wedged in between the gear teeth of the output shaft somewhere within the 5th/reverse cavity. Just a guess.

93rangemaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Alright, 99% sure that piece of metal is spring washer which goes underneath the the shifter bushings, so the noise is not related to that metal ring.

Output shaft bearings maybe?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Never thought of that being the wavy washer for the shifter. That would have to travel through some small crevaces to get where you got it from though. Where are you located I have 2 R1's on my shop floor ready to roll out.

93rangemaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I'm located in BC Canada. I'm thinking it might be the output shaft bearing now. I have put the rear end on jack stands, then popped it into 2nd with the truck running to simulate driving down the road (I know, very sketchy) and it seems like it is coming from the back half of the trans, like above to drain plug sort of. It's weird because the noise seemed to start right after I put lift shackles in the rear end.

93rangemaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
noise is not getting better or worse I guess I'll just keep my eyes open for a trans

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
... it seems like it is coming from the back half of the trans, like above to drain plug sort of. It's weird because the noise seemed to start right after I put lift shackles in the rear end.
SO... you've made a significant change to your DRIVESHAFT ANGLE? It's possible the new noise is a U-joint that is operating outside its max. design limit angle, and/or needs greased.

I wouldn't drive on it too long. Obviously, removing the lift shackles would be a telling diagnostic step. Please keep us posted. We all learn.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals