• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50d-R1 rebuild and clutch

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
My transmixer is just about in need of a clutch, and I want to freshen things up while I'm in there. For 185,000 miles, what should I look at replacing? It's a little tough to get in 1st gear, takes some finesse to shift to second, and every now and then wants to chirp a little getting into 3rd. Synchros? And the clutch isn't really slipping, it just doesn't seem to engage (or is it disengage?) completely. When it's real cold I get a little puddle of hydraulic fluid in the floor behind the pedal, and it's hard to mash. I just figure with this many miles if I drop the transmission I might as well replace most of the normal wear items. I just wanted any insight as to what could be the culprit of the hard shifting. Thanks!

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
And the clutch isn't really slipping, it just doesn't seem to engage (or is it disengage?) completely. ...... I just wanted any insight as to what could be the culprit of the hard shifting. Thanks!
Answered your own question.

And being that there's a puddle, there is a 99.2% chance that all your troubles are from a bad slave cylinder.

My M5 went almost 300k mi, behind a 4.0, before I rebuilt it. And the only thing I found wrong inside of it was, a broken shift fork(reason for disassembly), a bad pocket bearing(whine I had for 4yrs), and wear on the input gears(normal M5 failure).
Synchronizers all looked perfect, and were reinstalled along with a used 4cyl gearset. Along with a new clutch and slave cylinder, it still shifts like a new truck.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals