• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50d-R1 manual tranny swap for an A4ld

Horseman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a blown A4LD in my 93 ranger and would like to swap in a manual M50D-R1. I have a 94 2 wheel drive explorer for all parts needed. I wondered if I change the extension housing and the output shaft will it bolt in. I know there are many other things that would need to be changed but I have all the parts. Has anyone been down this road? Thanks

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This is one of those "if you don't know the answer, it's too hard" things.

Get the correct transmission. Talking about "changing the output shaft" like it's changing a tire is a bit, well, off base. It's a bit like saying "My knee is a bit weak. Will giving myself knee replacement surgery help it?" Well, if you could, yes.

Horseman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don,t believe it would be be that hard. I have a full shop and rebuild things all the time. I run a small farm and tractors and equipment always need something. This truck is not my daily driver and I don't really want an auto. So the question remains the same will the length work or not.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a blown A4LD in my 93 ranger and would like to swap in a manual M50D-R1. I have a 94 2 wheel drive explorer for all parts needed. I wondered if I change the extension housing and the output shaft will it bolt in. I know there are many other things that would need to be changed but I have all the parts. Has anyone been down this road? Thanks
If you have the tail housing and output shaft from a 4wd M5OD then go for it.

The A4LD stuff will not work in the M5OD however.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals