• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanted M50D-R1 HD

drivenyam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
So Sunday was wonderful. My son calls me on the way to church to tell me his transmission has just stopped giving power. Luckily he was just a few short blocks away from a buddy's house and they were able to push it to his house to park it. We have now officially got it to our house and are going to start the disassembly today to pull out the transmission. I'm wanting to see about swapping the transmission that's in there to the HD version. I would prefer someone near us so I can avoid shipping, but does anyone have an M50D-R1 HD sitting around? I know it's a long shot, but I thought I would ask. Thanks guys

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Are you sure it's the transmission and not just a clutch job?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
HD version was only available for the 4.0l engines, and since bell housing is integrated into the M5ODs an HD can't be used on any other engine size.

And HD only meant it had an extra bolt hole in bell house matching the extra bolt in the 4.0l SOHC engine, internally it was the same

So to use ANY M5OD-R1 you need it to match engine size FIRST
And THEN it needs to match 2WD or 4x4, no easy conversion between the two

Other thing to consider if 2WD, speedometer hookup, if 1986-1997 it needs a transmission with speedo hook up, so 1988-1997 M5OD-R1
If 2001-2011 then it needs a transmission with an OSS(speed sensor), 2WD or 4x4, so 2001-2011 M5OD-R1
1998-2000 can use any year M5OD-R1(that fits) as it gets speed from rear axle

2..8l, 2.9l, and 4.0l Ranger engines used the same bell housings

2.3l and 2.5l Lima engines used the same bell housings

3.0l Vulcan V6 didn't match any other engine

2.3l Durtatec 4cyl also didn't match any other engine

car-part.com is a good place to look for used car/truck parts

The only problem these transmissions had and it wasn't common, was that the input shaft gear would strip
You would lose ALL gears EXCEPT for 4th gear, its direct drive and doesn't use input gear
So you can test for that, if it moves in 4th then its the input gear, which requires full rebuild to repair

As said above "no gears" could be clutch, and if 4x4 then transfer case as well

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I beat the living crap outta my 98 5 speed and never had a problem. Sold it with a ton of miles on it too.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
iirc, the HD variant had slightly taller ratios in 1st and 2nd compared to the standard model, so they were not identical inside.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Yes, the 4.0l Rangers were the only ones that got the HD models(2011 and up) and they always had different ratios than the ones that were used in 3.0l or 4cyl Rangers
But there was no "heavy duty" differences

drivenyam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
So, it is a 4.0l and 4x4. I am aware they won't work on the other engines. I appreciate that info.

While we are still working on removing the tranny, I am pretty sure it's not the clutch as I do have experience with that issue AND there was already a concern about the input shaft prior to this issue.

I was simply looking to see if anyone had the HD version. If not, I will certainly try to rebuild or whatever I have to do to this one. Thank you for your helpful information. We really appreciate you.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
IMO, you would be no better off with the HD version, but.............................maybe easier to come by a newer one, 2001-2011 Ranger 4.0l 4x4 or Mazda B4000 4x4

But make sure you get it complete with shifter and arm as the HD model was different than the older 4.0l one

Article here on the differences: https://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/January2011/M5OD-R1HD_swap.shtml

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals