• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50D 5th gear accelerated wear

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
My transmission is an M50DR1-HD but I am guessing 5th gear is basically the same in all M50D transmissions.

I am having a problem with 5th gear wearing quickly since I had my transmission rebuilt a couple years ago. It is popping out of 5th gear after about 6 months and I am told it is because 5th gear is worn out and has been replaced twice. I ordered a remanufactured transmission and am taking the original one back to the shop that rebuilt it. I would like to understand more about the lubrication and any other thing that could cause 5th gear to wear quickly.

It seems 5th gear is lubricated by submersion of the gears on the lower shaft in the lube oil and transferring lube to the gears on the upper shaft by carrying and slinging. Is there any other mechanism for lubrication of 5th gear? There doesn't seem to be a problem with the bearings but I would still like to know how 5th gear bearings are lubricated too.

I have a manual shift transfer case and could not find a remanufactured transmission for this application. I am going to exchange the extension housing from my original transmission with the one the new transmission so I can still attach the transfer case shift linkage to it. Is there any way the extension housing could contribute to the accelerated wear on 5th gear?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals