• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lowest static drop possible...

84ratrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l v6 171cu
Transmission
Manual
i know i have to get i beams. i know i need lowering springs... i know i need axle flip(done), blocks, ubolts, c-notch, bed notch, and a shackle flip.
my truck is on 14s with stock size tires (i cant remember the exact size) so i know that will help it get lower.
However, will i need to do any more frame notching?
I heard about needing a transmission crossmember but idk if thats true.
ive also seen cab notches.
i want like 9" in the rear and 7" or 8" in front
no i dont want bags.
static drop.
any help is appreciated. it sucks cuz i know all about vdubs but not minitrucks.

also motor lifts? idk how that works but i would have to lift the trasmission along with it and idk how that would affect the steering equipment etc.

oh and i dont care about camber. where i come from camber is sick. the more the better. well not necessarily but you know what i mean.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your list is pretty good. I think you'll also need radius arm relocaters along with the trans crossmember that you mentioned. I'm not really familiar with the i-beam trucks, but overall it should break own kinda like this:
Front:
beams, springs (cut), and possibly some notching (coil spring trucks have to notch the frame for tie rods)
Rear:
axle flip, shackle flip, frame notch
Other stuff:
radius arm relocaters, trans crossmember, camber eccentrics, and you may need to notch the bed, or even the cab floor if you have an extended cab.

I'd probably consider a "z" in the front if you want to really get low, but that will cause you to lose hood clearance. Also, your gas tank will probably be the lowest part of your truck at that point, so you may want ot think about moving it, or better yet, getting a fuel cell.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
on my 93 lowered 7/9ish, about as low as your gonna get static unless you want to drag ass, which looks stupid, I have...
Front: beams, cut springs (drop springs arent low enough), ecentrics, no notching, trans crossmember.
Rear: axle flip, shackle flip, notch, sagged springs

If your truck is an extended cab then you might need a cab notch, and if your truck is an 84 you will want to get beams for an 89-97 and get spindles and brakes for an 89-97 to go with them so you can allign it

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I agree with above, get beams meant for a '89-'97 and get the spindles to match, I myself went with 95-97 spindles, which come with bolt on calipers (instead of the stupid sliders), and dual piston calipers.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
yeah 95-97 spindles are best i have them too, plus options for bigger brakes

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 96 xcab 7/9 drop, beams, 2" drop springs settled to total of 4", rear flip, blocks and 2 leaf pack ex leafs, no cab notch, did have some steering linkage rubbing the frame though, on 20's

SVT

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You might want to go for a hydraulic spine upgrade, that shit is going to HURT.

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
Anything over 7 inch in front will require notching for steering and mods to the swaybar/brackets. With radius arm relocators and raised tranny crossmember.

I'm not sure if mine is 6.5 or 7, but it's in that area, and I had to cut down the swaybar brackets and reweld them to gain clearance between the bar and steering linkage, otherwise it was sitting/ 1/16 of an inch of space. It now has about 1/2 inch which is way better.

8'' with 14'' tires? I think you're crazy man. LOL

Heres what I've done to mine.. You see the stock lenght at right and modified one on left.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I'm about the same height as beluga and i didnt modify anything, but the -94 and 95-97 could be different

westchase19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm currently at the 5/6ish drop with just Djm beams and belltech drop coils and the rear flipped.
I want to go about another inch or two in the front and 3 in the rear. So im guessing just cut the drop coils? and pull helper leaf and 2 inch blocks?
Any also what can i do about the hella camber im gonna have in the front? My truck is a 92?

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I'm currently at the 5/6ish drop with just Djm beams and belltech drop coils and the rear flipped.
I want to go about another inch or two in the front and 3 in the rear. So im guessing just cut the drop coils? and pull helper leaf and 2 inch blocks?
Any also what can i do about the hella camber im gonna have in the front? My truck is a 92?
About all you can do up front is cut the coils. Our back you could flip your shackles for an additional 2.5".

westchase19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I hadn't thought about a shackle flip! Has anyone ever said how much -camber they had after cutting drop coils? I'm not wanting to get new 215/35/18s every couple months. lol

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's really nothing that can be done to fix camber once you start cutting drop springs. Once you get more than 2.5 to 3 inches of drop from springs alone, camber becomes an unfixable problem. The more you cut, the lower you'll be, and the worse your camber will get.
You could always have custom drop spindles made, and retain your alignability, or do a clip swap to something with better geometry to get low. Ranger's aren't good for static lowering any further than about 5 inches in the front.

westchase19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That is what im afraid of. I dont wanna burn tires off fast. I have a 2 1/2 degree camber bushing in right now and my camber is straight. i have 3 1/2 bushing that i was wondering would help it if i lowered it just another inch in the front. I just want to have the even with the lip of my 18 inch wheel. and be able to give the rear a good 2.5 drop and it still end up even.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals