• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lowering shackle

KevinJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
94 XLT standard cable 2WD
I would like to level my truck. The rear end is higher than the front and the 14" tires look like grocery cart wheels. So, I see 2" lowering shackles for sale. Are these just simply shorter shackles that replace the factory ones and drop the bed? I've tried to look up the length of standard shackles and lowering shackles but haven't had any luck. After I get it level, I would like to swap out the 14s for 16s. Looks like there is plenty of room in the wheel wells front and rear.
Or would it be better/easier to raise the front with spring spacers? I've got coil springs, not torsion bars.
Does either one of these approaches require changing shocks?
Thanks

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
You have to see how the shackles gook to the rear spring. If the spring mounts to the top of the shackle, tou need longer shackles to lower it. If the spring hooks to the bottom of the shackle, you meed shorter shackles.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo

KevinJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You have to see how the shackles gook to the rear spring. If the spring mounts to the top of the shackle, tou need longer shackles to lower it. If the spring hooks to the bottom of the shackle, you meed shorter shackles.
Thanks. The spring hooks to the bottom of the shackle.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
So you just need the correct width and shorter amd you sre good to go

Spleen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The shorter shackles will give about 2” of drop in the rear and are nice if you live in the salt belt and they haven’t been replaced in a long time, however for the price of some new hardware you can flip the brackets that hold the shackles and achieve the same 2” drop in the back.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was about to pop in here and tell you that lowerin shackles don't exist for a Ranger and that what you are seeing is lowering shackle for a Chevy that actually lift a Ranger. Glad I took a moment to go search, while that may have been true in the past it doesn't appear to be any more.

Good to know that these exist now, it opens up more options for getting ride height dialed in. I wonder how that super short shackle affects ride quality

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was about to pop in here and tell you that lowerin shackles don't exist for a Ranger and that what you are seeing is lowering shackle for a Chevy that actually lift a Ranger. Glad I took a moment to go search, while that may have been true in the past it doesn't appear to be any more.

Good to know that these exist now, it opens up more options for getting ride height dialed in. I wonder how that super short shackle affects ride quality
Link?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just searched google. I think that they might have actually been developed as chevy lift shackles that I saw mentioned somewhere not too long ago. They would look about the same and have a lowering effect on a Ranger. I even seem to recall thinking that at the time I saw them.

94 XLT standard cable 2WD
I would like to level my truck. The rear end is higher than the front and the 14" tires look like grocery cart wheels. So, I see 2" lowering shackles for sale. Are these just simply shorter shackles that replace the factory ones and drop the bed? I've tried to look up the length of standard shackles and lowering shackles but haven't had any luck. After I get it level, I would like to swap out the 14s for 16s. Looks like there is plenty of room in the wheel wells front and rear.
Or would it be better/easier to raise the front with spring spacers? I've got coil springs, not torsion bars.
Does either one of these approaches require changing shocks?
Thanks
Yes they are simply shorter shackles that replace the factory ones. Even if you could find the length of stock shackles it wouldn;t do you mnuch good for determining drop amount. Shackles don't sit vertical in the truck when under load, so the difference in length doesn't correlate directly to a difference in height and the distance between the axle and shackle affects it too. As much as I hate to say it the manufacturer statement is a general guideline, but you'll have to install them to see what you actually get.

As for wheel fitment, you can fit pretty much anything you want to under there. If you want a 20" wheel it's doable whether you lift or lower. The key is selecting the appropriate tire size top match the wheel to the truck.

Do you like the truck as it sits now, would you prefer it a little higher or a little lower?

Do you want a tire thats the same size or one that fills the wheel wells a little more? Keep in mind if the tire diamet er increases it also affects speedometer and odometer readings.

It sounds to me like you want the truck to sit more level and the tires to fill the wheel wells a little more with larger wheels. In that case I'd definitely recommend lowering the back instead of raising the front, raisinfg the front would require an even larger tire. Once you've got the leveling done, decide on a wheel size and talk to a tire shop about getting a wheel that fits the truck better. I gurantee that those guys will know how to get you that because many of them are gearheads that like modifying their own vehicles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals