• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lowering & Custom offset Help Needed

Spinner

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm a new member her and would like some help with wheel backspacing and offset. Before you say there's an article on backspacing for this, I know. I'm about to buy a 96 2WD XL Ranger after my next paycheck for $300. Sure there's problems, but I couldn't care. It needs tank straps, leaf spring hangers(these will be replaced with lowered ones), and it has a few other minor problems, along with 100 and some thousand miles. None of this matters to me. My first question is what will the rake be like on the truck if I install 4" lowering hangers in the rear and 2" lowering coils in the front? Will it be more flat than doing a 2" lower all around? My next question concerns custom offset. I'm looking to install 6" flared Prerunner style fender and bedsides on the truck(yes, I know this will look stupid with the stock bumper width, I plan to widen it using some kind of plastic sheeting). After this I'd like to install 15x10 Diamond Racing Pro Street wheels all the way around or possibly 15x10s in the rear and 15x8s in the rear if it's possible. With the wheels I'd like the to sit flush with the widened fenders and bedsides or just barely inside of the fender. So my question is what would the offset need to be on 15x10 wheels? And if I were to install 15x8s on the front what would the offset need to be on them? My overall plan for the truck is to eventually have it as a vehicle that's wide and low for track use and to have it handle as well as possible. Thanks for any help anybody can provide me with.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Save your money on the drop hangers and just get a flip kit and stock hangers. You'll be able to go lower down the line, and a flip kit is usually just $50 or so.

The prerunner fenders/bedsides are not just wider, but the wheel opening is also larger, so it may or may not look awkward having a lowered truck with a bunch of wheel gap. It may not be a big deal either. Just depends on your personal taste. Personally, I'd be curious to see how it turns out but everybody has their own tastes.

Another (much cheaper)option, that would keep the factory wheel openings, is to just roll/pull the factory bedsides to get a couple of inches of increased clearance if you want.

You should look up beluga420's build thread. Sounds like he's basically done what you want to do already with the stance and wheel/tire combo: http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120245

Last edited:

Spinner

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the help, I'll definitely look in to the flip kit. As for the larger wheel openings, I realized the wheel openings would be much larger than the stock. I figured I'd correct this by using some kind of plastic sheeting riveted on to the fenders or bolted on using rivet nuts and small machine screws to bring them back to the stock dimensions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals