• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lowering 99 ranger

99range

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have 1999 RANGER. I have removed the middle left spring in the rear and all that remains is the longest leaf and on the load spring. i put 2 inch lowering coils in the front but i still want to get about 2 mor einches lower in the rear. i was wondering how far i could go before i start having issues with the drive shaft being shoved too far into the transmission. when i removed the middle leaf from the rear it lowered it goo 2 1/2 or 3 inches. i just need to know how much further i can go before haveing driveshaft issues. Thanks

307ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
you could use pinon shims to corect the drive shaft and as for the two more inches you can flip the leaf spring shackles just the rear ones that should give you the extra 2 that youre looking for you may need to notch the frame for clearence

99range

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have read about flipping the shackles but other forums have said when u adjust the shackles then yould shouldi adjust the hangers because it will screw up the geometry of the rear end if you adjust one without the other. I am new to the lowrider vehicles I jave had lifted vehicles but I haven't had a lowered vehicle. Would it be better to just put the leafs back to stock and buy a 4 inch flip kit?

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Removing a leaf will cause the main leaf to start sagging SOON. Put the leaf back in....check the angle of the driveshaft with a 90* bubble level (you can buy one at a hardware store for about $10 bucks--it's worth it!)

Write down the angle....after you do the rear end drop...make sure you adjust/or shim the rear axle until you get the driveshaft the same angle or close to it...

I'd guess that you need an inch of slide in the driveshaft yoke at the transmission to prevent any binding/jamming when driving on rough roads...

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Like doorgunner said, your leaf springs will start sagging. Put that leaf back in. You could do a flip kit to drop the rear, if I remember correctly, that usually yields about 4" - 5" of drop. Lowering that much in the rear may require you to install notches in the frame though. Or you could find an Explorer rear axle which already has the spring perches mounted on the bottom of the axle tube. Not only that, you can also find one with disc brakes and a limited slip, so it's not only one upgrade, but three all at once.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what he sayyyyed....................

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Put the leaf back in and do a DJM 5" flip kit. If you have an extended cab you will not want to notch the frame because the driveshaft will run on the bottom of the extended cab floor and frame crossmember.

low~n~blue

February 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
If your down 2 inch's and want two more, put the leafs back, do the DJM flip kit. You won't have any problems, no notching required, if its too low then throw in a chevy lowering shackle ( becuase it lifts fords) and that will give you an inch to two inch's back up depending what notch you put it in. I did that on my truck, super easy and no problems.:icon_thumby:

Daniel C

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dude Buy you a 5 inch flip kit and be done with it. Put your leaf back in. I did that and thank god mine broke when I was installing my flip kit. Take our FREE advice and do it before you kill yourself or someone else.

99range

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
on the djm 5 inch drop flip kit is a c-knotch and relocations of the rear axle necessary?

low~n~blue

February 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
On my truck I didn't have to notch anything or do any custom work. The kit came with everything, like I said simply raised mine an inch so it didn't look too saggy. I didn't even have to cut bump stops, it's a nice kit and comes complete.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's a bolt in deal its pretty easy and should be able to be done in a driveway in about an hour with good tools. You will probably want to add a set of Doetsch Nitro Slammers or DJM Calmax shocks with it as well since your factory shocks will not last long with the drop. No notch would be needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals