• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lowering 97 ranger question

97whtwolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i just got my 97 ranger and every body is tell ing me its easy to lower the back just get the shackle but unless im crazy if i put in a longer shackle it will raise the truck cuz the shackle is pointing down. now do i have to flip the rear hanger ??? or do i have the only truck that has the shackle pointing down ??????

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First - Welcome to TRS

Second - The hangers are all hanging down in stock form. There is an excellent write-up in the tech library on how to flip the shackles (http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Dec 05/tech.htm) the photos though are both of a flipped shackle. Start there and come on back when you have more questions.

Third - Throw up an intro post and tell us about yourself and your truck - a pic would be good too (of the truck LOL).

Good Luck

Army

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flip the springs, you'll be much happier with the cleaner look and stock ride feel.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
Flip the springs, you'll be much happier with the cleaner look and stock ride feel.
What do you mean by flip the springs?

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
unlike s10's and other minis all rangers leafs sit on top of the axle tubes, you can get a bolt on "flip kit" that moves the springs under the axle tube. 5" for $50 pretty much the best way to net drop on a ranger if the 2" from flipping shackles wont cut it.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
How far do you want to lower the truck? 2/2 drop do Belltech coils on the front and flip the rear hangers and shackles. If you want a 3/4 drop do DJM drop beams and a rear axle flip kit. Or you can also do a combination of all the above for a 5/6 drop. I also sell all the parts listed as well on my site.

justindwright

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How far do you want to lower the truck? 2/2 drop do Belltech coils on the front and flip the rear hangers and shackles. If you want a 3/4 drop do DJM drop beams and a rear axle flip kit. Or you can also do a combination of all the above for a 5/6 drop. I also sell all the parts listed as well on my site.
If one did the 2/2 drop as you suggest, will they need to run different shocks?

Thanks,
Justin

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
it would be a good idea to upgrade to some drop shocks for the better valving, also drop coils will change the shock distance, Ibeams do not change the distance here is everything you could need to know about lowering a 83-97 ranger as far as parts go http://shop.illusivefabrications.com/faqs

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals