• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lower temp thermostat

randypmartin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Need to replace the thermostat on my 1990 2.9L 6 cylinder Bronco II.

Is it advisable? And what are the pros/cons?

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No, put in the same. Your motor is engineered for that.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Biggest enemy of the 2.9L is heat! But as floored mentioned, it was engineered to run at a certain temperature. I think it being a 90 model you should have the upgraded head design. Changed the design, basically all they done with it is made the water ports bigger to help it flow coolant better! Ford seen the problems with the 2.9 and heat! Just sucks they took around 3 years to decide to fix the problem!

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Not to get off the subject of the bronco. Chevy had a problem with there trucks in the 90’s! Coolant temperature sensors would get a bad ground or short in the wiring causing the computer to read that the engine was not to normal operating temperature! Therefore causing them to run rich, and wouldn’t idle properly! I’m sure almost everyone remembers seeing a 90’s model Chevy and GMC with a v-8 in it loping across a parking lot sounding and running like it’s cammed up! But if you know anything about engine’s, you can tell the difference! Remember in high school a lot of guys driving there pop’s truck and thought they had a race truck because it wasn’t running correctly! And god knows you couldn’t tell them any different!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thermostat is minimum operating temp. If coolant system isn't designed well or maintained, you can overheat.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Do your research dude! I have a 85 bronco ii with the 2.8 and I run a 160 in it! It’s not an everyday driver, could be if needed but I don’t! No a/c sucks in 95* degree weather. Lol

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Got an 89 I pulled the transmission from with a blown head gasket! The guy I got it from drove it about another year with it blown! Which wasn’t the smartest thing to do! Kept water with him all the time and kept a check on it. I’m not mad he parked it. He gave me the whole bronco with a new clutch kit to boot, just to get it out of his yard! So I lucked up on it! Not saying the 2.9 is junk, just had some issue’s mainly from lack of maintenance!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'd be tempted to run a lower temp thermostat if I lived further south where it gets hotter. They are not a fix for overheating, they simply open sooner, which is nice because you have air flowing through a hotter radiator more often...so it can help to proactivcely keep the engine closer to operating temp. I have a 180 degree stat in my 302 swapped truck and it has absolutely helped on really hot days - it will stay around 200 degrees for longer periods of time instead of slowly creeping up way past that.

I would never run one in really cold climates and it will hurt your heater output in the winter, possibly have a negative effect on fuel mileage as well.

randypmartin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I'd be tempted to run a lower temp thermostat if I lived further south where it gets hotter. They are not a fix for overheating, they simply open sooner, which is nice because you have air flowing through a hotter radiator more often...so it can help to proactivcely keep the engine closer to operating temp. I have a 180 degree stat in my 302 swapped truck and it has absolutely helped on really hot days - it will stay around 200 degrees for longer periods of time instead of slowly creeping up way past that.

I would never run one in really cold climates and it will hurt your heater output in the winter, possibly have a negative effect on fuel mileage as well.
I've never had an issue with mine getting even a little bit warm. Always operates at a very low temp even on a 95 degree day with a/c on. So I would assume stick with the OEM thermostat then?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I've never had an issue with mine getting even a little bit warm. Always operates at a very low temp even on a 95 degree day with a/c on. So I would assume stick with the OEM thermostat then?
That's what I would do. Motorcraft thermostat is preferable if you can find one. Will be a good time to flush out your radiator and heater core, sludge and debris are the #1 killer of the cooling systems in our trucks. Often people blame "junk head designs" which is partially true but 35+ years of no coolant changes and no maintenance is worse.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I tried a bunch of different temps and brands during my cooling issue. Ended up keeping the Motorcraft of stock temp. Haven't had cooling issues since. I live in a hotter climate.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've pulled apart a few rbv radiators. Most have been about a third full of sediment collected at the bottom of the rad. Easy way to check is get the truck to operating temp then shut off engine. Feel along the rad for temp differences. Or better use a heat sensing gun.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The biggest problem with at least some of the 2.9s was improper cleaning out of the casting material out of the heads.

If the cooling system is sediment free, you’re probably ok.

As far as the thermostat, I would stick with the OEM temperature for the thermostat unless you are doing something special that requires differently bit that normally doesn’t apply to most people.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So… here’s my input…

@sgtsandman is correct, improper cleaning out of casting sand was a big problem. @PetroleumJunkie412 noted that and also noted that the European market didn’t have the overheating and head issues that we have with the 2.9, so I’m going to say there was poor quality control here that caused a lot of problems. Throw in poor maintenance and general abuse and it’s no wonder there were so many problems and a bad rep.

Sediment in the cooling system from lack of or improper maintenance is another problem. My first Bronco II, I wanted to flush the radiator and when I opened the drain plug. Well, nothing came out. Unscrewed it completely and still nothing. Poked around in the holes and hit it with the hose a few times and finally got the tiniest drip. Ended up pulling the upper and lower hose and going to town spraying water in everywhere. After generous water useage, water would come out the drain hole. Hosed out the heater core and block as best I could, filled it with coolant flush, ran it, drained, sprayed, filled with water, ran, drained, sprayed, more flush, ran, drained, sprayed, water fill, ran, drained, sprayed, water fill, ran, drained, sprayed and finally wasn’t getting any more junk out. Then the motor ate a valve.

My choptop had been overheated by the previous owner when I got it and cracked a head. I chased the overheating problem for awhile and broke a couple more heads. Turns out a substantial part of my woes was a result of a leaky heater core and someone sealing the heater core box with RTV. Looking back, I’m also suspecting an issue with the block being choked up with casting sand. It might be buried in my shed still. The 2.9 that went in the last time I broke heads never gave a bit of trouble. I flushed it and ran a new water pump with a 180* thermostat and a 4.0 radiator. With a manual transmission, 4.10 gears and 33’s, it ran great and was a solid 18/19 mph around town and low to mid 20’s highway, so I have my doubts that there was any negative effects to my cooling alterations. It didn’t like 35’s though, so it got replaced with a 4.0. Well, a few of them. Haven’t had much luck with those motors either in that.

One thing to note, factory spec for thermostats for the 2.9 was 192*, however most “stock” replacements for it are 195*. I don’t know if there is a 185* or 190* thermostat available for these, but I would definitely be a little more comfortable running slightly colder than slightly hotter.

Overkill on the cooling system is possible. My F-150 is a prime example. Even with a new radiator, water pump, and a flushed cooling system in the winter, it wanted to overheat with the plow on. 180* thermostat, super-wetter and a 50/50 or 40/60 mix of antifreeze/water and tilting the radiator slightly back at the top solved that problem. But without the plow on it runs cold. Even in the summer working it hard.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just to be clear...
A lower temp thermostat will NOT cure an over heating problem. All it does is slightly delay a overheating problem. One of the main reasons for the higher thermostat temp is to help the oil burn off moisture that condenses inside during cool down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals