• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

low power under 3000rpm

fivestring

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I recently bought a 96 2wd Ranger with 5 speed manual and 3:73 gearing. I have replaced spark plugs and wires, changed all fluids, new tires, shocks, brakes.

I drove a friend's 91 Ranger the other day, same setup except I think he has even lower gears than me because he's taching 2000rpm at 55 and I'm at 2000rpm at 50mph.

His truck has significantly more pulling power when getting up to speed than mine. Mine runs, starts, idles very well except it seems to lack pulling power under 3000rpms.

No codes on the computer other than a evap emission control code. P1445 I don't know any more on the history of the truck.

I'm getting 21 mpg and would like to see that go up, too. Any ideas what might be holding this motor back from good acceleration?

kirk3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
What engine do both trucks have? Tire size? Mileage?

fivestring

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
They are both 2.3 engines. Mine has 160,000 miles the other one is at 240,000.

Both have stock size 14" tires.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My best guess is the timing is a tooth or two off.
Easy enough to do when replacing the belt.

fivestring

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Would a tooth or two off allow for such a smooth running engine?

The idle and cruising performance never has even a hiccup. Starts in the first 1-2 seconds of being turned over. Aside from the low acceleration, the motor is velvet smooth.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Would a tooth or two off allow for such a smooth running engine?

The idle and cruising performance never has even a hiccup. Starts in the first 1-2 seconds of being turned over. Aside from the low acceleration, the motor is velvet smooth.
It can...mine ran fine when the timing was off...but your valves are opening and/or closing a fraction too early/late so you're not getting all the fuel/air mixture that you could be gettting...so less power...

floridaoranges

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
swap mass air flow sensors and see what happens. We replaced the one in my dad's 94 and it runs like a brand new truck

raptorv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
97 ranger runs sluggish when warm

i am new to the sight. I have a 97 ranger 2wd, 2.3 5 speed 3.73 gears with 14 "rims. the truck runs great when cold, first thing in morning, or when low humidity. When truck warms up or real hot out, it gets sluggish and lacks power like something holding you back. On cool days it runs fine. 160,000 miles,timing belt at 100,000 miles. tuneup at 125,000 with plugs, wires, air, and fuel filter. Any ideas???

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Try changing your air filter and cleaning your maf and throttle body. I had similar symptoms. The trottle cable mod did wonders as well. Chaning your diff and tanny fluid will likely help with mileage and is good preventative measure. Aside from that you could try reseting the computer by unhooking you battery for a few minutes. This would be great especially after doing all the above. Also a can of seafoam couldn't. Hurt I just wouldn't run it through the engine.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
that code cleared on mine when I checked and firmly attached all visible vacuum lines and changed the air filter. You could check the evap system by inspecting all the hoses and making sure there isn't any cracked.

fivestring

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Update:

Yesterday I swapped in a MAF sensor from a JY truck. Before installing it I cleaned it with MAF cleaner. After installing it, I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery.

At first I didn't notice and difference in performance. But as I drove to work and back home , 70+ miles, I think it is pulling a little better when going through the gears.

My low power is still present however. I am replacing timing belt today and still want to axe the CAT. It feels like I am towing a trailer all the time. It takes some time to get going but once up to speed, it runs great.

More updates to follow...

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Did you check out your throttle cable? Have someone step on the gas while you look at the throttle body butterfly plate. Does it open a full 90 degrees?

fivestring

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
killj0y,

Yes I did look at the throttle cable. I put 2 cable ties on it next to the pedal to take up the slack.

Got the timing belt on today. Not a difficult job at all. I was done inside 5 hours and that included a 1/2 hour break to re-read details on timing marks, a trip to Advance for a new fan belt and coolant and removing and flushing the radiator.

Haven't taken it for a long enough cruise to see if there was any performance gain yet. Nothing noticeable on the test drive.

Next up is the CAT. Somewhere I read to tap it with a hammer. If it rattles, it is shot. Mine rattles. So it is getting eliminated. No smog tests (or state inspections) in this part of Georgia.

Update:
I figured to be sure of all the filters' age I would put a new air filter in it. That made a significant difference. More pull below 3000 rpms. Much better. Guess I should have done that earlier but the old one looked clean, at least until I compared it with a new one...

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Yea that's exactly what i thought too when i looked at it lol. Then Bam the new one was waaaay cleaner and made a big difference for me. Hmm now that you mention it i should check my cat today lol haven't done that. So overall the performance is improving little by little? Or is it night and day after everything you have done?

fivestring

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Yup, little by little.

I took off the replacement MAF and cleaned it a second time.

I ran half a can of Seafoam through the intake and put the other half in the tank.

I blocked off the EGR valve. Say what? check out http://www.hotrodhigh.ca/EGR.html There's a lot of good info on the 2.3 on that site.

I removed and cleaned (again) the throttle body and IAC.

It certainly is getting better and better. I will not be satisfied until I get to look at the CAT and be sure it is not blocked. And I am going to replace the rear end. It is noisy and causes vibrations and I can get one for $100.

I am determined to get 25+ mpg.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals