• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

low power, code 411

93rangemaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
All right, so far what's been done.
-cleaned my maf, tried a different one
-replaced tps
-replaced fuel pump
-replaced both cylinder heads with newer rebuilt ones, and all new gaskets due to a ruined valve seat.
-Replaced the exhaust, checked for a clogged cat.

After all this, truck is still missing some power, it almost sounds like it's missing... Starts and runs fine, idles around 900 sometimes and 700 other times though which is weird, and I'm getting a running code for a 411 "can't control low idle". Oh, and lastly, I'm also getting fairly bad gas mileage.

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If the only code you have is the 411, I personally would start there.
Have you looked into the Idle air control valve? Somehow, this valve seems to get black crud on gummed up into it sometimes (Im not sure exactly why) Maybe yours is so bad that the valve is starting to stick keeping the ECU from fine tuning the idle speed and giving you that code. Try cleaning it, and then see if the idle is bad. Also, check for vacuum leaks. If your careful about it, you can use small propane torch to find leaks. Just have the propane bleeding out of the tip WITHOUT it lit and put it near hoses/connections where you think a leak may be with the engine on and idling. If it is in fact a leak, Typically the idle speed will increase as soon as the propane gas enters the engine. Always thought that was pretty clever, and it worked for me to find leaks.

After you get that code to clear I would move on to the other issues. If it turns out to be a vacuum leak, that might solve all your issues there, since air bypassing the mass airflow sensor will cause the engine to run poorly.

93rangemaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply, I have looked but have been unsuccessful in finding vac leaks so far. I was reading through some threads of similar situations, and ppl were thinking it could be cam pos'n sensor, crank pos'n sensor, or a loose timing chain. Looking and feeling around back there, it seems like my truck doesn't have a cam pos'n sensor, and the engine has roughly 210xxxkm(130xxx) miles on it, would the chain have stretched out yet. Crank pos'n sensor maybe? My confusion about the iac being the culprit is that I don't know if that could cause the lack of power I've been experiencing, I'll clean it out anyway though.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
4L ? Mine ran good @ 307, kms just a had a little issue from a cracked head due to a plugged rad no seemed to diagnose. These engines are known to suck in the fuel rail to manifold gasket creating a vacuum leak or as mentioned the Idle Air Control valve regulates air flow at idle... you can take it off and clean it or they are under a $100 to buy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals