• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loving my '94 Splash

94FRS40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Have been wanting a small truck for quite a while and things finally fell into place last weekend when I brought home a '94 blue Splash with 4.0L and automatic.
Showing 225K+ miles but the engine/trans were supposedly rebuilt "by the previous owner". No idea when that might have been :unsure:
Runs good and is in decent condition all things considered. It does, however, have a handful of minor issues which I will remedy as time and funds permit.
Things like non-op coolant and oil pressure gauges, sagging headliner, worn 60/40 seats and door panels, poorly installed radio, broken taillight lens, among other things.

This weekend my projects include flushing/replacing coolant, changing oil and filter, replacing the broken ignition switch, gluing the headliner fabric back in place, and picking up a tonneau cover (with no hardware :( ). See my forum question HERE
Replaced the worn windshield wipers earlier this week. Also, I have a VW Jetta with leather seats that I am considering swapping into the Ranger. I plan to at least pull the VW seats this weekend and get them cleaned up.

My daily driver for the past decade has been a Porsche 914 so going from that to a truck - even if a small truck - is quite a change. So far, I am loving it :love:

ranger_crop.jpg

?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Welcome to the forum. Nice truck!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Dude... is there room for a coffee cup in a 914? I remember taking a ride in one... it was like a small... smallness. Seems you may have a thing for German Engineering... me too.

You will love the Ranger... patch it back up and be decent to it. That's about all ya gotta do.

Welcome to TRS

94FRS40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks. I really like it and I have never really been a "truck guy" although I will admit I have always liked the Explorer Sport Trac. Mainly because it has a unique look (especially back when first introduced)
This particular truck pushed all the right buttons - the color is perfect; I prefer the flareside to the slabside; and it is a 2WD.
Only thing that would make it better is a 5-speed manual but I have learned to appreciate automatics (except in early to mid 2000s VWs!!! What a nightmare)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i had a radio once.....

that thing would be a riot with a 5 speed....

nice ride.

94FRS40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Dude... is there room for a coffee cup in a 914? I remember taking a ride in one... it was like a small... smallness. Seems you may have a thing for German Engineering... me too.

You will love the Ranger... patch it back up and be decent to it. That's about all ya gotta do.

Welcome to TRS
LOL... yeah, the 914 is very small! But they are a blast to drive especially on winding mountain roads (I live in the Smokies).
As for German Engineering... I currently own (3) 914s (one is a rusty parts car), an '05 Jetta TDI, '04 parts TDI (plan to swap the engine into a 914), and a non-op '02 GTI.
Have owned many VWs in the past - Jettas, Passats, Corrados, Vanagons, New Beetle Convertible, Rabbit Convertibles, and even an old Beetle. So, yeah... I've got it bad!

I needed something to haul the occasional large item with and got tired of having to borrow someone else's truck.
Missed out on a lot of deals without a way to haul. I've already hauled a couple things just this week :)

I am going to enjoy tinkering on the Ranger.
?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Rangers do well with tdi's

94FRS40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Rangers do well with tdi's
Don't think I haven't considered that swap! At this point, I believe it would be easier to swap the TDI into a 914 than a Ranger. At least for me and my experience.
?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
LOL... yeah, the 914 is very small! But they are a blast to drive especially on winding mountain roads (I live in the Smokies).
As for German Engineering... I currently own (3) 914s (one is a rusty parts car), an '05 Jetta TDI, '04 parts TDI (plan to swap the engine into a 914), and a non-op '02 GTI.
Have owned many VWs in the past - Jettas, Passats, Corrados, Vanagons, New Beetle Convertible, Rabbit Convertibles, and even an old Beetle. So, yeah... I've got it bad!

I needed something to haul the occasional large item with and got tired of having to borrow someone else's truck.
Missed out on a lot of deals without a way to haul. I've already hauled a couple things just this week :)

I am going to enjoy tinkering on the Ranger.
?
Yep... you got it bad. I've messed with a couple water pumpers... but I got seriously hung up on the air cooled stuff. It still calls to me and I hope to build another serious trail buggy one day.

There has been a couple three VW guys show up here lately.... they got bit by the Ranger thing too...don't fight it... embrace it. You get stuck on something... ask the questions. There is a bunch of good guys here that are willing to share their knowledge and experience. Don't overlook the How To Tech section on this site... Jim has done a great job archiving a bunch of information for reference and will be extremely helpful while you tinker.

Enjoy your new truck... share your progress.... jump in and help when you can.

94FRS40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Picked up the tonneau cover today. It is a LeBra brand and is in pretty good shape. Cost... a whopping $20 ?

Drove home with it tied down to the inside "hooks". (Yes, it is on backwards.) Now I have to figure out a way to mount it so it hinges as designed.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I would have bet money that thing was for a style side bed.

It's got a bit of rash and needs a little clean up... but a super deal for the admission price.

Shouldn't be to bad to hinge and latch it on...

94FRS40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
... It's got a bit of rash and needs a little clean up... but a super deal for the admission price...
It matches the rest of the truck perfectly :icon_thumby:

94FRS40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Replaced ignition lock today. Super easy once I figured out how to access the button that needs to be pushed ?

Also started a seat swap utilizing VW mk4 leather seats. Started with the passenger seat just to be sure it would work.
Had to cut/grind off parts of both the VW seat base and the Ranger seat base but it is going to work quite nicely after I have the two bases welded together.
Only issue... seating position is a bit higher than the stock seats. I am not exactly tall at 5'8" so will be fine for me. Still have ~5" of headroom.

Last edited:

Oxxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello and welcome to TRS!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals