• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

loud humming sound 96 b4000 4x4

cloonane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
while driving i get a loud humming sound it starts out faint then gets louder and faster until it stops. when it does my tach drops from around 1300 right down to about 500 or less sometimes stalling the engine. if i step on the gas it goes away. this seems to happen mostly when i am slowing down. parking red light ect.... the noise is coming from the drivers side engine compartment.
could this be related to the clutch i'm having issue with it not going into gear with out having to double clutch mostly on first and fifth gear and i have to shut off engine to go into rev. or else it grinds.

jtbel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I get like a wine or a hum sometimes, that gets louder as I accelerate. I think it might be from the compressor. That reminds me that I need to check and see if I hear it only when the A/C is on. Anyway, I don't think the clutch would make a noise like that. I would make sure there is plenty of clutch fluid and then bleed the slave cylinder. Assuming it has that kind of setup (I just got my truck last week).

jtbel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I can still hear the noise without the A/C on. I'm betting my noise is from the power steering pump.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
maybe wheel bearings
my brothers ranger had a problem like that and the bearings were the issue

cloonane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
not wheel bearings does it it when i am stopped gets faster and louder if. then if i accelerate the gas it stops

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
maybe a pulley then or the belt

cloonane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
sound like a blatter or something replaced most of the pullys allready they had a higher pitch noise.

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Is it a low humming noise? When the iac goes it can make a humming noise heard through the air intake.

cloonane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
yeah its a humming noise that starts off slow and then gets faster and louder
what is the iac

pimp slow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
the iac is the idle air control its a sensor just like the mass air flow it measures how much air and adjusts the idle accordingly.

cloonane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
thank you pimp slow

lumpy4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have you checked the tranny fluid??? i would say the noise is related to your tranny. gears tend to make a hum when they dont get proper lubrication. also sounds like your tranny might need some service as well. if you have to double clutch to shift and your reverse grinds, then i would start there. not a sensor. remember that reverse is not a syncronized or continous mesh gear, which means thats the teeth need to mesh everytime you shift into reverse. hence why you should never do it in motion. and if you are having issues with first, then i would suspect you probably have a bent shift fork or damaged syncros.... best bet, take it out and take a peak inside, or pay someone to do it for you. and your hum might be a frozen or blown u-joint on the front drive shaft....

just my 2cents

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd almost Guarantee that its your IAC, my '97 4.0 does the same thing, when its doing it pop your hood and put your hand on the IAC (its mounted to the intake with 2 bolts and has a 2 wire plug going in the back) you will probably feel it vibrating if so try unplugging it for a second and if it stops there is your issue, some people have had luck cleaning them with carb cleaner but I have had no such luck so its time for a new one for me. Hope that helps

cloonane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
thanks,
i will try that but it almost all ways stop as soon as i open the door. it's like trying to catch a rabbit.

cloonane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
i just took out the master cyl yesterday and bench bled it that seem to solve that problem

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals