• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lots of transmission questions

RJMacReady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So of course as I've said I'm pretty new to really working on cars but I've got a lot of questions about how I can really fully analyze the state that my clutch/transmission is in and decide how much of it needs work and what kind of work.

This truck's my project for the foreseeable future and I want to do everything I can to make it a rock solid overland beast that will last, even if that means totally rebuilding everything since I've got the time and the cash this next year.

That being said here's everything I can tell you about what it's like to drive and shift this guy:

* Daily driving has felt uneventful. I have driven it in a variety of situations most days for a few months now: short trips to the store, long trips to other counties, freeway, town, big steep Seattle hills, hill starts. So far no real problems that interfere with me going where I'm going. That being said, I'm new to trucks and new to manuals.
* There is some rattling. It's not always the same, but there is a rattle when I put the clutch in lately. It's not always there. I do occasionally get other kinds of rattling like in gear, or in neutral
* About once a week I seem to get stuck going into first, and I have to jiggle or force it a bit.
* More often than the first problem, but not every day, it's hard to put it into reverse, and sometimes there is some grinding.
* Truck rolls sort of bad with emergency brake in on a forward slanted incline (facing downhill), but not so much in first gear unless its steep.
* Truck rolls *really* bad on a backwards incline (facing uphill), even in gear

I was going to order and put in a clutch kit, but I know that's a fair amount of work under there and maybe I'll be in the area to look at or replace other things?
What do you think? I'd like to make a sequential checklist of the next inspections or replacements to do.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1984 Ranger with 2.3l 4x4 will most likely have a toyo kogyo 4-speed transmission, but a few had the 5-speed version
Toyo kogyo company changed its name to Mazda in around 1960 but not officially until 1984 or so
From 1974 to 2015, Mazda had a partnership with the Ford

Toyo kogyo transmissions were use in Rangers until 1987, in 4 and 5 speed versions, and were just "OK"
The later model Mazda M5OD-R1 5-speed was considered a much better transmission, it was used in Rangers until end of production in 2011

Changing to an M5OD-R1 would not be a bad idea, it would need to be from a 1988-1997 2.3l 4x4 Ranger, has to be from 2.3l and has to be 4x4 model

RJMacReady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh mine is 4 gears + overdrive + reverse btw

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Some of your issues could be clutch hydraulics related... air in the system somewhere that is not allowing the clutch to release completely (thus why you have trouble getting it in gear) or it could be a failing slave or master cylinder causing the same issue, or it could even be a bad pilot bearing - pretty uncommon but if it gets seized to the trans input shaft, it will cause it to spin even if the clutch is released.

Some noise with manual transmissions is normal and expected. I have found that often in our trucks, noise that seems to be coming from the transmission actually isn't - could be a loose shifter, a u-joint with dry caps, exhaust leaks, loose heat shields, etc. The main thing to watch for is a whining noise in every gear except 4th...that indicates worn bearings.

May not hurt to put a clutch in it since you're not sure how much of it is left...although that is quite a bit of work and you may get it apart and find that it's been replaced recently. Clutches usually go into failure mode pretty quickly... they either have enough friction material left to grab or they don't and slip. Every one that I've worn out has shown no signs of slipping up until the last 10 or 20 miles or so and then they're done.

As far as the truck rolling - to me that indicates that your parking brake needs adjustment more than anything else, or the drums themselves need to be adjusted tighter. Beyond that make sure you park with the front wheels turned toward the curb. Tired engines with low compression will tend to allow the truck to roll in gear on hills but the parking brake should compensate for that.

RJMacReady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This info is in another thread for the specific issue but the previous owner told me "The 4 Hi doesn't work but the 4 Low does", just another piece of the puzzle here. One person suggested the "shifter linkage isn't adjusted right", so I'm going to try their diagnostic and see if I see what they describe.

RJMacReady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did look up some clutch kit install vids and I can tell it's a ton of work. Not opposed to doing it but I understand why it might make sense to wait. 4x4 problems aside, should I just keep working it until something starts to fail and then inspect and replace?

In the mean time, I'm going to be replacing other systems as well like all the electrical stuff, so maybe I'll focus on that first if so.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals