• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' the posts that you read.

Lost what little power it had?

mpire

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 97 ranger with I think a 99 2.3 engine swap with 80k miles on it. Probably 180k on the chassis.

Coil packs, plugs, valve cover, wires, water pump, belts, hoses, etc have all been replaced in the last couple years. 5 speed manual rebuilt recently.

Cooling doesn't look cloudy, not low on oil or coolant.

I was driving home the other day and the alternator crapped out on me.

I made it home on the battery, but towards the end there wasn't enough juice to fire the coil packs, I guess. Not really sure. But it wasn't firing on all cylinders for sure.

Dumped a lot of fuel into the cat and it was bright yellow when I got home. I could see the glow under the truck and it was like I had LEDs underneath.

I replace the alternator, charge up the battery, and everything seems fine.

I go to a show with the gf and there is a really steep entry ramp into the parking garage.

Poor old ranger just can't get up the ramp in first from a stop. Not enough power. Pretty sure I haven't had this issue before.

Every once in a while the engine hangs at an RPM while in neutral when I'm puttering around.

So I am about to replace the cat thinking it has to be clogged. Everything looks good, no engine codes, fires right up like always.

Got any ideas?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 4FF3E9EEA14805 Expires: October 1st, 2020

Uncle Gump

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead, Follow or get out of my way
Google testing for a restricted exhaust with a vacuum gauge. That will tell you if the catalytic converter is plugged.