• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lost in numbers: Which ones are right?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I've read the wonderful threads on rear axels here. Thank you!

My problem is that I have no door label and no axel code on my 3.0 Liter 2003 Ranger Edge. I want to get a 410 limited slip rear axel maybe even with larger drum brakes but I would be happy with anything limited slip at all. I don't haul heavy things, no trailers either.

Junkyards are asking me to provide certain information I do not have. If you have real world experience, you might know which of these axels would fit my truck and which would be limited slip. Here's what they offer Which ones of these axels are right?

7.5" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 3.73 Ratio
7.5" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 4.10 Ratio
7.5" Ring Gear, 9" Brakes, 3.73 Ratio
7.5" Ring Gear, 9" Brakes, 4.10 Ratio
8.8" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 3.55 Ratio
8.8" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 3.73 Ratio
8.8" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 4.10 Ratio, Exc. FX4; ID V305 Series
8.8" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 4.10 Ratio, Exc. FX4; ID V311 Series
8.8" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 4.10 Ratio, Exc. FX4; ID V313A
8.8" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 4.10 Ratio, Exc. FX4; ID V313J
8.8" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 4.10 Ratio, Exc. FX4; ID V313K
8.8" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 4.10 Ratio, Exc. FX4; ID V330 Series
8.8" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 4.10 Ratio, Exc. FX4; ID V333 Series
8.8" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 4.10 Ratio, FX4 (Locking), Level II
8.8" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 4.10 Ratio, FX4 (Locking), W O Level II
8.8" Ring Gear, 10" Brakes, 4.56 Ratio
8.8" Ring Gear, 9" Brakes, 3.55 Ratio
8.8" Ring Gear, 9" Brakes, 3.73 Ratio
8.8" Ring Gear, 9" Brakes, 4.10 Ratio

Which ones are limited slip? Which would be a direct bolt-on? Which is simply "plug-and-play?

If it helps the last numbers on my vin are 3pb48386

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Try car-part.com

They show if an axle is L/S or not

Your list only has two L/S(locking) rear axle shown, forget the "ID numbers" if it doesn't say "locking" then it is NOT L/S
L/S sells better so they will not leave it off in place of an ID tag number, lol
So all listed axles are OPEN except for the two that say "locking"

1993 to 2009 Ranger or Mazda B-series rear axle will be plug and play in your 2003

If you get different size brakes then make sure they come complete and undamaged, as the back plates are very hard to find

2010/11 had rear disc brakes, they will bolt right up, but some rear brake work would be required

Either one of the (locking) axles above will work, plug and play, the Level II will be a Torsen differential so will cost quite a bit more, but it also will not have clutch packs so doesn't wear out

To find out what you have now
Block the front tires
Shift transmission to Neutral

Jack up your rear axle/wheels
Spin one wheel and watch the other, if it spins in the opposite direction is an OPEN differential, if it spins the same way it locking(L/S)

Put a mark on the inside of a tire, pointed at the ground
Put a mark on the drive shaft and differential at same spot
Turn the driveshaft THREE full turns and watch the tires mark
You are at 3:1 ratio right now
Turn driveshaft more until tires mark is pointed at the ground again
1/2 turn would be 3.55 ratio
3/4 drive shaft turn would be a 3.73 ratio
1 full turn more is 4.10
1 and 1/2 turns more would be 4.56 ratio

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you. Do you know if the two that say "locking" are true lockers or limited slip.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i was reading wikipedia on the ranger yesterday and that level 2 is the one you want for a locker. check wikipedia though so you can see what it said about the types of lockers in the level 1 versus level 2

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
i was reading wikipedia on the ranger yesterday and that level 2 is the one you want for a locker. check wikipedia though so you can see what it said about the types of lockers in the level 1 versus level 2
Nice looking Ranger!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Thank you. Do you know if the two that say "locking" are true lockers or limited slip.
No Rangers of the original style and size came from the factory with a locking axle. They came with either a clutch plate style limited slip or a gear actuated limited slip. I believe only the FX4 Level II came with the gear actuated limited slip.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They are Limited Slip

A locking axle needs an ON/OFF "switch" or you can't drive it on the street, well can't go around a corner on the street, lol, which is usually required at some point :)

Lockers are used in a straight line or on loose surfaces so one of the wheels can "slip" without breaking the axle

Limited slip are "locked" but allow one axle to "slip" when going around a corner
The inside tire spins slower than the outside tire on a curve or when you turn

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
They are Limited Slip

A locking axle needs an ON/OFF "switch" or you can't drive it on the street, well can't go around a corner on the street, lol, which is usually required at some point :)

Lockers are used in a straight line or on loose surfaces so one of the wheels can "slip" without breaking the axle

Limited slip are "locked" but allow one axle to "slip" when going around a corner
The inside tire spins slower than the outside tire on a curve or when you turn
Yes, exactly. This explains part of my confusion. So the two Ford Rangers axels listed here as

are NOT TRUE LOCKERS? Or are they LIMITED SLIP?

I am looking for limited slip.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, exactly. This explains part of my confusion. So the two Ford Rangers axels listed here as

are NOT TRUE LOCKERS? Or are they LIMITED SLIP?

I am looking for limited slip.
Yes, they are Limited Slip(L/S)

"True lockers"??

L/S are LOCKED axles, if you do a burn out BOTH tires will leave tread on the road, lol
Same as a on/off switch locker or if you WELD the axles together
OPEN differential would just leave one tire mark

So L/S is an automatic UNlocker, when it needs to be, that's what "limited slip" means, slipping(one axle turn at a different speed) is LIMITED
It's not called "Limited Lock" because that's not what it is or how it works

There is no doubt that mechanically locking two axles together is better in some situations, off-road or pulling a heavy load in a straight line, or drag cars, lol
But for the street L/S is the way to go.............in my opinion

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On one of the bolts of the differential cover, there should be a tag. They all had the tag from the factory, so unless the diff cover has been off, it will be there. usually on the upper right bolt as you look at the back side of the axle. It is a thin metal tag with numbers stamped in it. The tag will say something like "4 10 88" or "4L10 88" In this example, the first one is an open 4.10 ratio 8.8 axle, and the second is a limited slip 4.10 ratio 8.8 axle. The ratio number is typically very close to the mounting bolt, and there is often enough paint on the tag to make it hard to read, but if you find the tag you should be able to confirm the ratio and axle size. All Ranger rear axles are 28 spline except for the Torsen from the FX4 which has 31 spline axles. The Torsen axle has larger axle tubes that neck down at the outer end, that is the easiest way to identify those (which will all be 4L10).

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
On one of the bolts of the differential cover, there should be a tag. They all had the tag from the factory, so unless the diff cover has been off, it will be there. usually on the upper right bolt as you look at the back side of the axle. It is a thin metal tag with numbers stamped in it. The tag will say something like "4 10 88" or "4L10 88" In this example, the first one is an open 4.10 ratio 8.8 axle, and the second is a limited slip 4.10 ratio 8.8 axle. The ratio number is typically very close to the mounting bolt, and there is often enough paint on the tag to make it hard to read, but if you find the tag you should be able to confirm the ratio and axle size. All Ranger rear axles are 28 spline except for the Torsen from the FX4 which has 31 spline axles. The Torsen axle has larger axle tubes that neck down at the outer end, that is the easiest way to identify those (which will all be 4L10).
Exactly. It seems the mindset of parts dealers is to filter by what I currently have and to replace it. So they insist on beginning with make, model, year, etc. They miss the big picture, that I want an upgrade.

A couple parts dealers were reluctant to help, insisting on replacement only. Perhaps this whole matter is not my confusion, but their's. I have an 8.8 with a 410 ring gear open axel and just want to swap it for those same numbers only locking or "posi."

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
No Rangers of the original style and size came from the factory with a locking axle. They came with either a clutch plate style limited slip or a gear actuated limited slip. I believe only the FX4 Level II came with the gear actuated limited slip.
Good to know.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I'm still struggling to get past a certain mentality among used parts salesmen.

I checked the places which listed these axles in stock. You know the relevant numbers: 10" brakes/8.8/4:10/locking/level II. This time I emailed them. Two emailed me back asking for year and vin. I sent that data too. Two of them replied that there was nothing in stock. Apparently they remain fixated on replacements and not the upgrade i asked for.

Only one man emailed me back. He did have a locking level I with 130,000 miles. He was asking $550 for it. What do you think? Is this a good price? Is it worth the wait for a level II?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals