• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lost all dash lights

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well I hit a bump in a alley in town and lost all dash lights (I wasn't being stupid with it either) the fuse is good and from what I could tell the ground for it is still connected. I still have parking lights, and headlights.
any ideas?

robmedina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
No ideas, but when I got my truck all the dash bulbs were blown except for one (all the way to the right) showing the fuel. I wonder how all of them were blown, was it an all at once thing or one at a time, over time....

It is real easy to pull the dash though- takes about 5 minutes.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have the light switch that pulls out and the panel light dimmer that is controlled by turning the round knob. There is a resistor in the switch that controls the dash lights and the resistor sometimes fall apart.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
If you have the light switch that pulls out and the panel light dimmer that is controlled by turning the round knob. There is a resistor in the switch that controls the dash lights and the resistor sometimes fall apart.
Would this cause that dimmer not being able to dim the dash lights? Mine just recently starting doing this. My dash lights still work, you just can't dim them. Do you replace the whole unit or can you just replace the resistor? Sorry for the thread jack.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I hit a bump in a alley in town and lost all dash lights (I wasn't being stupid with it either) the fuse is good and from what I could tell the ground for it is still connected. I still have parking lights, and headlights.
any ideas?
Didja lose the dash illumination, or the warning lights? They run on different fuses.

If all your gauges and warning lights still work, it's probably not a loose connector. I know it's neither quick nor simple, but the best way to troubleshoot is to get a multi-tester, pull the cluster, and follow the circuit back from the lamps, to the fusebox, until you find the problem.

Let me know what you find,
Spott

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The resistor is part of the switch.

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
all of my gauges work I just lost the lights for them When this weekend rolls around I'll head to the parts shop for the lights switch then I'll take the dash apart to check everything with the multi-tester.
I also lost my RPM gauge lights so I know its not just blown bulbs.

I guess my truck didn't like its presents :icon_rofl:

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Take the light switch out first and check it. It does not take long and it's possible it might not be the problem

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I changed out the switch that wasn't it, I checked/changed the fuse again that wasn't it, I cleaned the contacts (nasty) that wasn't it either. :annoyed:
anybody have a complete wiring diagram for the dash? my book has $hit for wiring diagrams and the ground I found wasn't for the dash. So I hope its just a grounding issue, and not a power wire problem.

Oh the joy of electrical gremlins

azhrei

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
result?

just wondering what you ended up finding? and if you could share... lost mine a while ago also in my 87 and replaced switch thinking this to be the problem, yesterday the radio went (aftermarket) and went to replace and that one also won't work and pulled meter and there is power? :icon_confused:

thanks

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Would this cause that dimmer not being able to dim the dash lights? Mine just recently starting doing this. My dash lights still work, you just can't dim them. Do you replace the whole unit or can you just replace the resistor? Sorry for the thread jack.
This could be it @ dimmer switch-

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i'm thinking the light pull switch. mine doesn't dim. its either on or off.... so....
if i switched the light switch to a new one it'd work fine.

azhrei

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
switch has been replaced, so I'm thinking ground wire! anyone know where it connects for the dash?

thanks
Paul

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals