• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking to explorer efi swap my carbed b2300

tubbyb23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all, i want to go to efi on my v8 swapped b2300. Current set a is a roller (ho) motor from 93 fox body.. It has a blue holley pump, feeding my carburetor. I know that wont feed the efi set up. I plan to buy a 95-97 explorer for the efi components. What all will i need? Ecu,harness,upper and lower intakes, fuel rail & injectors. What about o2 sensors? I plan to keep my current c4 transmission. Will i have ecu problems using it, or is the expo trans controlled seperately? Do the explorers share the 351w firing order like my 5.0 ho engine?
I know nothing about efi, but im quite mechanically inclined.. I can do the work, just aint sure i can make it work...lol
Thanks in advance if yall can help me out...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, you need oxygen sensors.

The C4 trans will be a problem, but it is not insurmountable. The Explorer computer is going to be looking for various electrical/electronic components in the trans that just don't exist in your C4. The best route to go would be getting a custom tune written that deletes the automatic transmission stuff.

Since you have a 94 and are looking at going to an OBD2 setup I would suggest swapping the dash as well, which will not be impossible, but will not exactly be bolt-in. There will be wiring differences between your dash and the later harness that would be most easily resolved that way.

The firing order is determined by the engine, not the vehicle it was installed it. An HO 5.0 is an HO 5.0.

tubbyb23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, you need oxygen sensors.

The C4 trans will be a problem, but it is not insurmountable. The Explorer computer is going to be looking for various electrical/electronic components in the trans that just don't exist in your C4. The best route to go would be getting a custom tune written that deletes the automatic transmission stuff.

Since you have a 94 and are looking at going to an OBD2 setup I would suggest swapping the dash as well, which will not be impossible, but will not exactly be bolt-in. There will be wiring differences between your dash and the later harness that would be most easily resolved that way.

The firing order is determined by the engine, not the vehicle it was installed it. An HO 5.0 is an HO 5.0.
Understood, but if the ecu was from a vehicle (explorer) that fires differently, wouldn't that be a problem.. I've heard the expo 5.0 shares the 351w/ 5.0 ho firing order..

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

tubbyb23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Understood, but if the ecu was from a vehicle (explorer) that fires differently, wouldn't that be a problem.. I've heard the expo 5.0 shares the 351w/ 5.0 ho firing order..

It seems it would be easier to get a a9l computer\ harness from a manual fox body. Would these work with expo stuff..
I know this swap has been done several times, i dOnt really see a step by step build anywhere..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you note the plate on top of an Explorer intake manfold says "5.0 H.O."

HO has an HO/351W firing order.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any particular reason you want to go Explorer other than the ease of buying a donor vehicle? Since you are not wanting to use the Explorer's 4R70W, there's really no advantage to it over the Mustang system. I'm not sure which Mustang computer you will need for an automatic transmission. That said it's not difficult to use the Explorer's system either, but you will need to have someone reprogram the ECU to delete the trans control portion.

5.0L HO, 351W, and Explorer (basically a HO motor) all share the same firing order.

A lot of folks will just use the explorer for the accessory drive, intake and maybe heads, then will get everything else for the Mustang. Some of the Explorer sensors and stuff can be used with the Mustang system but I'm not familiar with what or how.

tubbyb23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Any particular reason you want to go Explorer other than the ease of buying a donor vehicle? Since you are not wanting to use the Explorer's 4R70W, there's really no advantage to it over the Mustang system. I'm not sure which Mustang computer you will need for an automatic transmission. That said it's not difficult to use the Explorer's system either, but you will need to have someone reprogram the ECU to delete the trans control portion.

5.0L HO, 351W, and Explorer (basically a HO motor) all share the same firing order.

A lot of folks will just use the explorer for the accessory drive, intake and maybe heads, then will get everything else for the Mustang. Some of the Explorer sensors and stuff can be used with the Mustang system but I'm not familiar with what or how.
I don't care what vehicle it comes from. I just want efi. And yes, the ease of finding the expo it where it shines...( going to pick one up saturday)from what im reading the a9l ecu from a fox was for the manual transmission..

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've heard the expo 5.0 shares the 351w/ 5.0 ho firing order..

That's because it's a 5.0 HO.

#1 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On my 93 I used a 92 GT block, 96 Explorer intake and heads, (egr delete). At first i had a AODE and a 95 GT auto computer, but later switched to a T5 and A9L computer. I used a 92 GT wiring harness, woven into the stock Ranger's. Only mods I did, that I remember, were hacking off some of the vacuum ports on the bottom of the intake, plugging the EGR ports on the back of the heads, and I think I flipped the throttle body around and fabbed a new throttle cable bracket. I also swapped out the TPS to a 92 style, so it would plug in to the harness. You can check out a bunch of pics of my setup on the Cardomain link at the bottom. BTW it ran 13.20's @103.

tubbyb23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I ditched the whole factory efi thing. I just finished installing a fitech 600hp kit. Works like a charm!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals