• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for suggestions on unused switches

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
So I have an 85 BII I bought years back not running sitting in a field for too many years. During the process of reviving, finding door panels in decent shape proved futile. I bought a 90 BII for parts rig( had the Dana 35 ). The interior panel were much better than the 85 so I used them. Roof liner, side walls all the trim and what not. But the door panels were for electric windows and locks and the 85 was all manual. I didn’t let that stop me. Lengthened the window crank shafts and drilled a hole and here you go. So I got these unused window and lock switched that do nothing. Although I have had passengers try to use them. 😂🤣😂. So what to do with them? Any thoughts?
D9AA7A83-E078-4ACA-A3A7-F5BA3D8DE774.jpeg

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Some kind of kill switch? Have to hold the lock button or the starter doesn't go?

Winch controller? Up down for in and out?

I assume they are all momentary switches or I would say use them for different lighting circuits.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would wire all of them to an ah-ooooo-ga horn mounted under the passenger seat.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
I would wire all of them to an ah-ooooo-ga horn mounted under the passenger seat.
That actually came to mind. Or a 007 ejection seat🤔

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Ejecto-Seato cuz.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a better idea.

One switch (on the drivers door) gets wired to a flame thrower. Hit that switch when somebody's tailgating you, it shoots flames out the back of the truck. The other switch gets wired to a truck air horn (mounted inconspicuously somewhere). Somebody cuts you off, hit that button, and watch the character that cut you off pull over to change their underwear.

Yes, I have a mean streak.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Some kind of kill switch?
That was my first thought! I’m trying to find a good spot to hide a switch and that’s a good one. Hidden in plain sight.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
That was my first thought! I’m trying to find a good spot to hide a switch and that’s a good one. Hidden in plain sight.
Kinda hidden but if someone actually looks and sees a window crank and a window button? Like I said , I’ve had passengers try to use the button so some don’t even question the odd setup.
Great suggestions gang. With 3 on the driver side and two on the passenger the combinations are many.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I actually had to write schematics and diagnosis for the CUCV program for GM. Their black out lighting system was Mil-Spec wiring and used momentary switches contacted to a pair of relays to control the operation of the lighting. So it is possible to control lighting with one of the window switches or door lock switch.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
I actually had to write schematics and diagnosis for the CUCV program for GM. Their black out lighting system was Mil-Spec wiring and used momentary switches contacted to a pair of relays to control the operation of the lighting. So it is possible to control lighting with one of the window switches or door lock switch.
Nice! I’m a low voltage tech/engineer and am sure I can make it work most anything with the proper relays and supporting power supply

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I tried to write that section of the book sitting at a desk with only schematic blueprints.... but I had no technical specs for anything else in the system. I just couldn't make sense on how it worked. I had to get a DMM and travel to a vehicle to analyze what was going on when you push the switches. After about a half day of probing the system I had figured it out and the engineer walks in. He said that a lot of Mil-Spec wiring works the same way. From what I remember was one normally open momentary switch that would control ground to energize the first relay. The switched side of that relay controlled the ground that would energize the second relay. That switched ground circuit was also spliced back into the control side of the first relay so it would remain energized after the momentary switch was released.... through a normally closed momentary switch. So when the OFF side of the switch was pressed.... it would open the ground of the first relay and it would deenergize causing the second relay to deenergize and turn off the lights. Really weird stuff. I would think you could search up a schematic that shows what I tried to describe.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I tried to write that section of the book sitting at a desk with only schematic blueprints.... but I had no technical specs for anything else in the system. I just couldn't make sense on how it worked. I had to get a DMM and travel to a vehicle to analyze what was going on when you push the switches. After about a half day of probing the system I had figured it out and the engineer walks in. He said that a lot of Mil-Spec wiring works the same way. From what I remember was one normally open momentary switch that would control ground to energize the first relay. The switched side of that relay controlled the ground that would energize the second relay. That switched ground circuit was also spliced back into the control side of the first relay so it would remain energized after the momentary switch was released.... through a normally closed momentary switch. So when the OFF side of the switch was pressed.... it would open the ground of the first relay and it would deenergize causing the second relay to deenergize and turn off the lights. Really weird stuff. I would think you could search up a schematic that shows what I tried to describe.
What are advantages/disadvantages of this compared to a regular switch? Seems like a complicated way to have buttons instead of switches. And Mil-Spec is referring to military stuff right? Only thing I ever saw was the switch pictured, occasionally the newer switch pictured (guessing a drop in replacement for the lever one. Didn’t like it either, can’t intuitively operate by feel), and off the shelf International or Freightliner stuff on the newest generation machines.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
What are advantages/disadvantages of this compared to a regular switch? Seems like a complicated way to have buttons instead of switches. And Mil-Spec is referring to military stuff right? Only thing I ever saw was the switch pictured, occasionally the newer switch pictured (guessing a drop in replacement for the lever one. Didn’t like it either, can’t intuitively operate by feel), and off the shelf International or Freightliner stuff on the newest generation machines.
View attachment 67304View attachment 67305
You would have to ask Uncle Sam why they do it that way. Mil-Spec is military... they have an entire different set of rules then automotive specs.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Head spinning 😜! But could be the beer. I’ll revisit this when the hangover has passed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals